- Ph.D., University of California, Los Angeles
- M.A., University of California, Los Angeles
- B.A., Princeton University
- African American Literature
- American Literature
- Literature and Culture of the Civil Rights Era
- Film and Popular Culture
- Race, Masculinity, and Criminal Justice
- LIT 202: African American Literature I
- LIT 203: African American Literature II
- LIT 205: Harlem Renaissance
- LIT 309: Thoughts/Writings of Martin Luther King
- FLM 202: American Themes: Screening the Police
- ENG 400: Literature & Culture of the Civil Rights Era
- LIT 200: American Literature I
- LIT 165: Topics in Literature
- WRT 120: Effective Writing I
- "'Free of Your Own History': Implicating Students in Dutchman." Approaches to Teaching Baraka's Dutchman, eds. Gerald Early and Matthew Calihman. Modern Language Association, 2018: 106-113.
- "To Counter a Mockingbird: White Heroism, Black Sacrifice, and Racial Innocence in William Melvin Kelley’s A Different Drummer." African American Review 51.1 (Spring 2018): 37-54. Awarded Honorable Mention for the Louis D. Rubin, Jr. Prize by the Society for the Study of Southern Literature (2018).
- "How to Get Away with Blackface: Performances of Black Masculinity in Tropic Thunder." The Journal of Popular Culture 50.6 (December 2017): 1400-1420.
- "Staging MLK in the Age of Colorblindness: The Good Negro and The Mountaintop." Critical Insights: Civil Rights Literature, Past and Present, ed. Christopher Varlack. Grey House, 2017: 270-286.
- "Miami Vice." The St. James Encyclopedia of Popular Culture, 2nd Edition. St. James Press, 2013: 552-553.
- "Police in Television." The Social History of Crime and Punishment in America: An Encyclopedia. Los Angeles: Sage Reference, 2012: 1767-1774.
- "Building Precious Knowledge: An Interview with Documentary Filmmaker Eren Isabel McGinnis." MELUS: Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States 36.1 (Spring 2011): 195-217.
- "Representing Prison Rape: Race, Masculinity, and Incarceration in Donald Goines's White Man's Justice, Black Man's Grief." MELUS: Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States 35.3 (Fall 2010): 131-155. Reprinted in Word Hustle: Critical Essays and Reflections on the Works of Donald Goines, eds. L.H. Stallings and Greg Thomas. Baltimore: Black Classic Press Inprint Editions, 2011: 165-189.
- Entries on Sidney Poitier, Eldridge Cleaver, Chester Himes, and James Weldon Johnson for Great Lives from History: African Americans (Salem Press, 2011).
- Review of The Heart of Whiteness: Normal Sexuality and Race in America, 1880-1940, by Julian B. Carter. College Literature 36.2 (Spring 2009): 152-155.
- Review of The Spirituals (PBS documentary on African American Spirituals) (2008)