View Text Only Version

Department of Communication and Media

Minor in Communication Studies

Contact Department of Communication and Media  

Department of Communication and Media

We hope you have found on our website the information you seek on courses, faculty, admissions, program requirements, and more. Should you have other questions or concerns, please feel free to drop by our department office:

Wayne Hall 202

125 West Rosedale Avenue, West Chester, PA, 19382


Phone: 610-436-2500

Minor in Communication Studies

Program Description

The Department of Communication Studies offers an 18 credit (six course) Minor in Communication Studies. Many students pursuing B.A. and B.S. degrees offered by other departments choose to minor in Communication Studies.

Requirements and Courses

Lower division core

To complete the Minor in Communication Studies, students first must successfully complete the three prerequisite courses in our lower division core: COM 219 (Communication Theory) COM 224 (Communication Research) and SPK 208 (Public Speaking). Students must earn a grade of C or better in each of these courses.

Upper division electives

Three elective courses may then be selected from any 300- or 400-level courses offered in communication studies. Again, a grade of C or better must be earned in each of these courses, and a 2.5 average must be achieved in the minor before clearance for graduation with a minor will be granted.


A student must have a 2.0 cumulative average or better to gain admission to the minor in communication studies as well as meeting program admission requirements (see above). Students are also required to earn a grade of C or better in WRT 120 and WRT 200.

Current West Chester University students interested in becoming Communication Studies majors or minors should note that admission to the major or minor is competitive due to program enrollment limitations.

Program Contacts

Program coordinator: Denise Polk, Main Hall 512, 610-436-2500

Program Faculty

Our faculty are accomplished experts in various communication specialties. In addition to teaching and research, many are actively involved in communication industries. Meet our faculty.

How to declare a COM minor

To declare a COM minor, visit MyWCU and submit an Academic Plan Change Request, following the directions listed here .

Back to top of page.