A graduate assistantship is an opportunity to work on campus in a research or service-oriented
capacity in order to gain valuable work experience in higher education or an academic
field and earn a tuition waiver and stipend.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Graduate students matriculated in degree-seeking programs are eligible. They must maintain a GPA of 3.0 in their graduate programs
1. Contact the graduate coordinator of your program to express your interest in a graduate assistantship in your academic department. Due to the nature of the work, academic departments hire students from their own programs.
2. Apply for positions that are posted on Handshake, the Career Development Center’s job-posting platform. Instructions are included under the question “Where can I find graduate assistantships that are currently available?” for details.
Available graduate assistantship positions are now being posted on the Twardowski Career Development Center’s website.
1. Current students (those with WCU login credentials) must apply for GA positions through Handshake. You must login to view available positions and submit applications through Handshake.
2. Newly admitted students, (those without WCU login credentials) can view available
GA positions here. You must email your application materials to the contact person listed for the position.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REGISTER FOR HANDSHAKE UNTIL YOU HAVE WCU LOGIN CREDENTIALS.
|Tuition Credits Waived (per semester)||Hours Required (per week)||Stipend Amount (per semester)|
Newly Hired GAs
Yes. International students must contact the Center for International Programs for instructions before beginning the hiring process.
No. All clearances must be completed specifically for WCU even if you have already completed clearances elsewhere. Instructions will be provided via your WCU e-mail account.
There are several steps to complete the hiring process
- After you have been selected, you will be sent a contract by the graduate assistant coordinator. You must read the entire contract thoroughly, initial the first page, sign the second page, and return the contract to firstname.lastname@example.org by the due date noted in the contract.
- Complete payroll paperwork and submit identification documents. The payroll paperwork will be sent to your WCU e-mail account and must be completed and submitted remotely through the secure site provided by Payroll. IMPORTANT: Graduate assistants cannot begin working until this step has been completed.
- Complete the required employment clearances. You will be contacted by the Office of Human Resources via your WCU e-mail account to complete the required employment clearances. These clearances require several steps, including fingerprinting, and ALL steps must be completed within 90 days. Failure to complete the clearances within 90 days will result in the revocation of your graduate assistantship.
Yes. The tuition waiver does NOT cover student fees. Graduate assistants must pay all student fees. Payment must be made by the due date listed on your WCU bill. The tuition waiver will not be applied to your balance until payment has been made. Nonpayment could result in your classes being cancelled.
No, graduate assistants are not required to submit timesheets either to the Office of Human Resources or to the Graduate School. However, it is strongly recommended that graduate assistants maintain a written, signed log of all hours worked with their supervisors in case any discrepancies arise.
Graduate assistants are paid their stipends divided into eight (8) installments in accordance with the WCU’s pay schedule.
Fall 2021 Pay Dates
· September 24 - For pay period ending September 10
· October 8 - For pay period ending September 24
· October 22- For pay period ending October 8
· November 5 - For pay period ending October 22
· November 19 - For pay period ending November 5
· December 3 - For pay period ending November 19
· December 17- For pay period ending December 3
· December 31- For pay period ending December 17
If you need to withdraw from a class that would take you below the credits required by your contract, please contact email@example.com from your WCU e-mail account before submitting a course withdrawal form. If you need to withdraw from the University, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before submitting a term withdrawal form. Please note that withdrawing could result in a financial penalty up to and including the full tuition cost of the tuition waiver.
To hire a graduate assistant, please submit the Request to Hire form through SharePoint.