The B.S. in Urban and Environmental Planning at West Chester University prepares students for a variety of planning careers in the public, private and non-profit sectors. Our program emphasizes sustainable development planning, economic development, GeoDesign and other advanced GIS applications, community engagement, planning regulations, location analytics, communication skills, and ethical reasoning to balance the needs of the public with the rights and interests of private individuals and businesses. The Urban and Environmental Planning major is housed within the College of Business and Public Management, which is focused on academic innovation, globalization, sustainability, and community partnerships. The College encourages students to be empowered, engaged, and entrepreneurial. Our graduates are prepared for careers in the public and private sector, or for the pursuit of graduate study. Get Involved: Geography & Planning Club Gamma Theta Upsilon (international honor society).
Center for GIS and Spatial Analysis
Research, presentation, and conference attendance opportunities
Internships for credit
What can I do with this degree?
Most of our graduates receive job offers long before they cross the stage at commencement. Here is just a brief selection of current employers:
- Academy of Natural Sciences (Philadelphia)
- Aerial Data Reduction Association, Inc.
- ARRO Engineers ? Brandywine Conservancy
- Cahill Associates (environmental planning)
- Chester County Planning Department
- City of Reading
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- Environmental Resources Management, Inc.
- Florida State University Department of Urban/Regional Planning
- Hartford County Planning
- McLane Environmental, LLC
- Natural Lands Trust
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
- Pennsylvania Power and Light, Inc.
- Planning commissions of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and New Castle counties
- Soil Conservation Service
- Temple University
- U.S. Attorney's Office
- U.S. Bureau of the Census
- U.S. Defense Mapping Agency
- U.S. Forestry Department
- U.S. State Department