Library - Swope Music Building Performing Arts Center
The primary mission of the Presser Music Library is to provide materials and information in support of the academic programs of West Chester University. Its goals in carrying out this function are: 1.To make materials and information in all forms accessible to students and faculty through bibliographic organization and retrieval, adequate equipment and facilities, and appropriate library services. 2.To teach students and faculty how to use the library and library tools in support of study and research and for the development of lifelong learning skills. 3.To impart an appreciation for books and reading that will culturally enrich West Chester University students during their college experience and beyond.
Student Assistant (Pay Band 1)
- Position Responsibilities:
- Audiovisual, Customer Service, Digital Media Technology, Library
- Involves the following:
• Handling financial, student or personnel data/records
- This position will provide general assistance with:
- Customer service, answering telephones, filing, assisting with ongoing special projects.
- Specific duties as they relate to this department:
- 1.Organizing and shelving of various library materials. 2.Assisting the Library Technicians with various projects, including shifting, processing of library materials, etc. 3.Helping library patrons with library materials. 4.Checking out reserve materials to library patrons. GENERAL SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES DESIRED: Strong work ethic. Reliability is a must. Friendly. Great customer service attitude. Strong communication skills. Personable telephone and face to face manner. Computer comfort, knowledge and skills with Microsoft word, Outlook, Excel and Powerpoint is helpful. Ability to work with basic office equipment. Enthusiastic and positive attitude. Ability to be organized and pay attention to detail. Be mature. Attentive listener. Ability to complete goals and task assigned. Ability to work with minimum supervision. Open to suggestions and growth.
- Learning Outcomes:
- Through their experience working at the Presser Music Library, students will gain the knowledge and experience needed to access information that will be vital for their academic success, as well their future success as a lifelong learner and well-rounded individual. Students will be exposed to the joys of working in a library setting and taught basic library policies and procedures that may translate into a career in the Library and Information Sciences.