Yes Youth Empowerment and Urban Studies
The YES program is housed in Liberal Studies so that our minor can be open to all students across the University interested in collaborating with urban youth, working hands-on doing empowerment work and democratic organizing, making real change in communities and neighborhoods, and understanding how social systems affect the life chances of individuals.
YES Program Student Assistant (Pay Band 2)
- Position Responsibilities:
- Data Input, General Office, Graphic Design, Office Ambassador, Public Relations, Social Media, Student Mentor
- Involves the following:
• Being responsible for/or providing services to anyone under the age of 18
- This position will provide general assistance with:
- Staff office for students dropping by to find out about YES program. Office assistance such as data entry, photocopying. Recruitment of other students to the YES minor directly and through marketing materials. May be asked to develop new recruitment materials geared toward WCU students or urban youth. Assist with on-going and special projects, as needed.
- Specific duties as they relate to this department:
- Creativity, ability to work independently and in a group. Reliability and maturity a must. Friendly. Strong communication skills. Enthusiastic and positive attitude. Ability to complete goals and task assigned. Open to suggestions and growth. Interest in working with urban youth. May need child abuse clearances if hired and if special projects develop in that area. We are particularly interested in WCU students who are themselves enrolling in the YES minor.
- Learning Outcomes:
- Students working with the YES program will gain leadership and communication skills and hands-on experience working with professionals in real-life work environments.