Many students benefit from an internship experience during their junior or senior year. Often these are available during the summer. Formal internships are for academic credit, and involve a faculty supervisor as well as an employer supervisor. The student receives professional experience, and in many cases may receive a wage or expense money. To enroll in an internship, the student submits an Internship Agreement Form. To request an Internship Agreement Form, email Heather MacQueen, Geography & Planning Department Secretary at email@example.com.
Current Internship Opportunities
Check back regularly; new internship opportunities are posted when they are made known to us!
- The City of Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Department has four internship opportunities to assist in the data collection and inventory of street treas. Click here for full posting. Posted 5/23/18.
- Carroll Engineering is seeking to fill an SQL/GIS Developer Internship position this Summer with a highly skilled graduate or senior/junior undergraduate student. Click here for posting. Posted 5/11/18.
- Casey Trees, Washington DC has two full-time, paid internship opportunities available starting May 20th through August 20th, 2018. Click here for more details. Posted 5/3/18.
- The Lehigh county Authority in Allentown, PA is hiring a paid summer GIS intern for the Information Technology Department. Click here for more information. Posted 4/27/18.
- The Department of Environmental Protection is seeking individuals to fill 92 summer intern positions in locations across the Commonwealth. The deadline for applications is March 1st. Click here for more information or visit their website. Posted 2/13/18.
- The Berks County Planning Commission is currently seeking two work study positions for the summer of 2018. Click here for more details. Posted 1/11/18.
- The City of Philadelphia's Parks & Recreation department has an Ecosystem Management internship opportunity from March through August 2018. Click here for more details. Deadline to apply is February 16, 2018. Posted 1/4/18.
Past Internship Opportunities
- The City of Philadelphia is offering an unpaid internship. Click here for more details. Posted 9/18/17.
- Pacem in Terris (Latin for 'Peace on Earth') has a number of Internship opportunities for the coming school year. Click here for more details. Posted 8/30/17.
- West Chester University's Sustainability Advisory Council (SAC) seeks a WCU Bike Share Intern. Click here for more information. Posted 7/12/17.
- The Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC) is seeking an intern to work in the Water Resource Planning Section to help improve the commission’s data analysis capabilities. The paid internship is available for approximately 30 hours/week, May – August 2017. Students majoring in environmental science, engineering, or planning are encouraged to apply. Job Duties Include: Populating the commission’s integrated database; Researching up-to-date contact information for permittees; Reviewing older approvals to determine their current status; and Gathering and recording locational data for permits. To Apply: Interested applicants should send a resume to Kent Barr at Kent.Barr@drbc.nj.gov by May 15, 2017. http://www.nj.gov/drbc/home/spotlight/approved/20170502_internship.html. Posted 5/4/17.
- ASRC is seeking motivated and passionate college students looking for paid internships. They currently have 9 openings at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Candidates should have a passion for space and technology. Open summer hire positions include: 17000824 – Technical Writer, 17000825 – STEM Education Public Outreach, 17000826 – Video Production, 17000827 – Education Public Outreach, 17000828 – Project Support Specialist, 17000829 – Web Designer, 17000830 – Social Media, 17000831 - Communications, 17000850 – Resource Analyst.Students can apply by visiting http://asrcfederal.com/careers/jobs and entering the associated job number in the search field. Posted 4/17/17.
- Berks County Planning Commission has one spot open for their internship program. Program begins approximately May 17th. Click here for more details. Posted 4/12/17.
- The US Forestry Service is hiring for multiple, paid, summer-time Pathway interns for this coming summer. Go to www.fs.fed.us/WorkForNature for details. Posted 4/12/17.
- TRAINING: New Jersey Local Technical Assistance Program has training courses available. Full details here. Posted 4/5/17.
- The City of Philadelphia has internship opportunities. Click here for more detail and click here for internship applications. Posted 3/17/17.
- West Chester University is looking for a Summer Horticulture Intern with a focus on green roofs. Click here for more information. Posted 3/9/17.
- The NSF Spatiotemporal Innovation Center (STC) is looking for 4-6 undergrad research assistants to serve as NSF REU Summer Fellows in 2017. They will potentially work at George Mason University, Harvard University, or University of California which all depends on funding availability from NSF. Please click here for more information. Posted 3/8/17.
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) in Allentown, PA seeks a qualified planning student for their 2017 Summer Internship. Click here for more information. Posted 3/3/17.
- The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission is seeking summer interns (May through August). Hourly rate will be $12.50/hour. Travel will be reimbursed at $0.535/mile. For more information click here.
- Berks County Planning Commission currently seeks two (2) work study positions for the summer of 2017. This work study program is designed for a planning/GIS related student. For more info, click here. Posted 1/3/17.
- An UNPAID Planning & Zoning internship opportunity within Harford County, MD, Department of Planning & Zoning. All interested parties must visit www.harfordcountymd.gov/employment to apply online. Posted 9/6/16.
- Applications are now being accepted for both the Summer and Fall 2016 internship semesters. Please visit the National Geographic careers website to apply. Interns may be assigned to work in one of the many divisions within the National Geographic Society; individual projects and assignments will vary. Most include some degree of research, writing, working in teams, self-direction, and being able to manage many tasks at once. Please find more information about application requirements below. All materials must be received by midnight TONIGHT April 8, 2016. Posted 4/8/16.