Many students benefit from an internship experience during their junior or senior year. Often these are available during the summer. Formal internships are for academic credit, and involve a faculty supervisor as well as an employer supervisor. The student receives professional experience, and in many cases may receive a wage or expense money. To enroll in an internship, the student submits an Internship Agreement Form. To request an Internship Agreement Form, email Heather MacQueen, Geography & Planning Department Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Internship Opportunities
Check back regularly; new internship opportunities are posted when they are made known to us!
- The Berks County Planning Commission is currently seeking two work study positions for the summer of 2018. Click here for more details. Posted 1/11/18.
- The City of Philadelphia's Parks & Recreation department has an Ecosystem Management internship opportunity from March through August 2018. Click here for more details. Deadline to apply is February 16, 2018. Posted 1/4/18.
- The City of Philadelphia is offering an unpaid internship. Click here for more details. Posted 9/18/17.
- Pacem in Terris (Latin for 'Peace on Earth') has a number of Internship opportunities for the coming school year. Click here for more details. Posted 8/30/17.
- West Chester University's Sustainability Advisory Council (SAC) seeks a WCU Bike Share Intern. Click here for more information. Posted 7/12/17.
- The Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC) is seeking an intern to work in the Water Resource Planning Section to help improve the commission’s data analysis capabilities. The paid internship is available for approximately 30 hours/week, May – August 2017. Students majoring in environmental science, engineering, or planning are encouraged to apply. Job Duties Include: Populating the commission’s integrated database; Researching up-to-date contact information for permittees; Reviewing older approvals to determine their current status; and Gathering and recording locational data for permits. To Apply: Interested applicants should send a resume to Kent Barr at Kent.Barr@drbc.nj.gov by May 15, 2017. http://www.nj.gov/drbc/home/spotlight/approved/20170502_internship.html. Posted 5/4/17.
- ASRC is seeking motivated and passionate college students looking for paid internships. They currently have 9 openings at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. Candidates should have a passion for space and technology. Open summer hire positions include: 17000824 – Technical Writer, 17000825 – STEM Education Public Outreach, 17000826 – Video Production, 17000827 – Education Public Outreach, 17000828 – Project Support Specialist, 17000829 – Web Designer, 17000830 – Social Media, 17000831 - Communications, 17000850 – Resource Analyst.Students can apply by visiting http://asrcfederal.com/careers/jobs and entering the associated job number in the search field. Posted 4/17/17.
- Berks County Planning Commission has one spot open for their internship program. Program begins approximately May 17th. Click here for more details. Posted 4/12/17.
- The US Forestry Service is hiring for multiple, paid, summer-time Pathway interns for this coming summer. Go to www.fs.fed.us/WorkForNature for details. Posted 4/12/17.
- TRAINING: New Jersey Local Technical Assistance Program has training courses available. Full details here. Posted 4/5/17.
- The City of Philadelphia has internship opportunities. Click here for more detail and click here for internship applications. Posted 3/17/17.
- West Chester University is looking for a Summer Horticulture Intern with a focus on green roofs. Click here for more information. Posted 3/9/17.
- The NSF Spatiotemporal Innovation Center (STC) is looking for 4-6 undergrad research assistants to serve as NSF REU Summer Fellows in 2017. They will potentially work at George Mason University, Harvard University, or University of California which all depends on funding availability from NSF. Please click here for more information. Posted 3/8/17.
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) in Allentown, PA seeks a qualified planning student for their 2017 Summer Internship. Click here for more information. Posted 3/3/17.
- The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission is seeking summer interns (May through August). Hourly rate will be $12.50/hour. Travel will be reimbursed at $0.535/mile. For more information click here.
- Berks County Planning Commission currently seeks two (2) work study positions for the summer of 2017. This work study program is designed for a planning/GIS related student. For more info, click here. Posted 1/3/17.
- An UNPAID Planning & Zoning internship opportunity within Harford County, MD, Department of Planning & Zoning. All interested parties must visit www.harfordcountymd.gov/employment to apply online. Posted 9/6/16.
- Applications are now being accepted for both the Summer and Fall 2016 internship semesters. Please visit the National Geographic careers website to apply. Interns may be assigned to work in one of the many divisions within the National Geographic Society; individual projects and assignments will vary. Most include some degree of research, writing, working in teams, self-direction, and being able to manage many tasks at once. Please find more information about application requirements below. All materials must be received by midnight TONIGHT April 8, 2016. Posted 4/8/16.
PA State Summer Internship Programs
Pennsylvania offers a number of summer internship programs. You can access the full program guide on the department website PA STATE INTERSHIPS MANUAL.
Pennsylvania Resources Council is searching for an intern to be an assistant to the PRC Newtown Square Farmers' Market manager as well as involvement in other environmental understanding. The intern must be available every Wednesday from May 25, 2016 to the beginning of the fall semester. This is a paid internship at $10.00/hour. Please contact Carol Butler at 610-353-1555 ext. 230 or email her at email@example.com for more information. Visit PRC's website Posted 2/11/16.
A fellow graduate student in our program, Aaron Brouse, asked that we circulate this internship opportunity amongst you. Geosyntec Consultants (environmental firm) in Blue Bell, PA is currently looking for a GIS Intern to work alongside Aaron. This is a paid and part-time position. Please see attached flyer for more details. Interested applicants should visit www.geosyntec.com/employment and navigate to posting number 40218. Also, see the attached Geosyntec flyer for more information. Posted 2/9/16.
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Committee is looking for a student to intern 1-2 days per week for a Long-Range Planning position focused on sustainability. This would be a paid opportunity to assist with research and writing of publicly accessible policy reports and plans for the Greater Philadelphia metropolitan region. Applicants must have completed at least 3 years of a college/university program or (preferably) be enrolled in a master's program in planning or related field, or an equivalent combination of experience and training. To apply forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted 2/9/16.
DelDOT is hiring for a Civil Engineer Summer Internship. Applicants must be at least 18 years old, have completed their freshman year seeking their B.S. in civil engineering, and have maintained at least a 2.0 overall GPA on a 4.0 scale. Students can complete their application on the State of Delaware jobs website. In addition they need to provide a copy of their resume and transcript by attaching them to their online application. They may also fax, mail, or e-mail them to DelDOT Employment Services, 800 South Bay Road, P.O. Box 778, Dover, DE 19903-0778, Phone 302-760-4800, Fax 302-760-2771, email Deldot_emp_services@state.de.us. Applications, resumes, and transcripts must be sumitted by March 18, 2016. Posted 2/9/16.
GoEco invites students and faculty to participate in their geography and environmental internships and volunteer projects abroad in Spain, Costa Rica, and Austrailia. For more information go to www.goeco.org 646-240-4545. Posted 2/9/16.
McMahon Transportation Engineers & Planners of Exton has an internship available. The Intern will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of transportation planning and engineering projects, including projects that involve bicycle, pedestrian, transit, and roadway facilities. While working under the direction of project managers and project engineers, the Intern will help to compile and organize data, develop maps and graphics to depict transportation issues and solutions, compose text for planning reports, and conduct field work and investigations. The Intern will learn and be exposed to transportation planning and traffic engineering principles and practices. If you are interested in applying for this internship, please email Dr. Ives Dewey, Chair, Geography & Planning Department at email@example.com. Posted 1/27/16.
The Berks County Planning Commission is currently seeking two work study positions for the summer of 2016. The work study program will be a twelve-week program and may be longer pending the office's workload and the willingness of the student. The program is a paid position ($9.225/hour) and is conditional on the Berks County hiring procedures. This work study program is designed for a planning/GIS related student. Any interested students may contact David Berryman, Transportation Planner II, at 610-478-6300 ext. 6307 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted 1/27/16.
The Philadelphia Center offers undergraduate students the opportunity to thrive through experiential education (8-week summer program, 16-week semester program). If you would like to learn more visit www.tpc.edu. Posted 12/21/15.
Lynn Resler, an Associate Professor in the Department of Geography at Virginia Tech, is seeking a student with interests in biogeography to begin the Geography M.S. program in Fall 2016. The student's thesis research could vary, but would likely relate to some aspect of vegetation dynamics of the Appalachian Mountains or the Rocky Mountains, or ecotone dynamics, in general. Students with an interest in, and prior experience with field research and geospatial analysis preferred. The qualified candidate will receive an academic-year Teaching Assistantship, with renewal in year two based on satisfactory progress. More information on Virginia Tech's Geography M.S. program and links therein can be found here. Contact Lynn Resler for more information about this competitive, funded opportunity. Posted 12/21/15.