Many students benefit from an internship experience during their junior or senior
year. Often these are available during the summer. Formal internships are for academic
credit, and involve a faculty supervisor as well as an employer supervisor. The student
receives professional experience, and in many cases may receive a wage or expense
money. To enroll in an internship, the student submits an Internship Agreement Form.
To request an Internship Agreement Form, email Heather MacQueen, Geography & Planning
Department Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Internship Opportunities
Check back regularly; new internship opportunities are posted when they are made known
- The City of Philadelphia is offering a Mayor's Internship Program (MIP) for Summer
2019. Click here for more information. Posted 1/23/19.
- Berks County Planning Commission is seeking two work study positions for Summer of
2019. Click here for more details. Posted 12/20/18.
- The National Park Service's Geoscientists-in-the-Park is offering internship opportunities
in GIS. Click on this link for more information. Posted 12/12/18.
- ESRI has summer internships available. To view the listing, click here. Posted 10/24/18.
- The City of Philadelphia has a GIS internship opportunity. To view the listing, click here. Posted 9/21/18.
- Amtrak in Philadelphia is offering an internship opportunity. To view the listing,
click here. Posted 9/20/18.
- Lehigh & Northampton Transportation Authority seeks a Fall/Winter intern. To view
the job posting, click here. Posted 7/27/18.
- The City of Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Department has four internship opportunities
to assist in the data collection and inventory of street treas. Click here for full posting. Posted 5/23/18.
- Carroll Engineering is seeking to fill an SQL/GIS Developer Internship position this
Summer with a highly skilled graduate or senior/junior undergraduate student. Click here for posting. Posted 5/11/18.
- Casey Trees, Washington DC has two full-time, paid internship opportunities available
starting May 20th through August 20th, 2018. Click here for more details. Posted 5/3/18.
- The Lehigh county Authority in Allentown, PA is hiring a paid summer GIS intern for
the Information Technology Department. Click here for more information. Posted 4/27/18.
- The Department of Environmental Protection is seeking individuals to fill 92 summer
intern positions in locations across the Commonwealth. The deadline for applications
is March 1st. Click here for more information or visit their website. Posted 2/13/18.
- The Berks County Planning Commission is currently seeking two work study positions
for the summer of 2018. Click here for more details. Posted 1/11/18.
- The City of Philadelphia's Parks & Recreation department has an Ecosystem Management
internship opportunity from March through August 2018. Click here for more details. Deadline to apply is February 16, 2018. Posted 1/4/18.
Past Internship Opportunities
- The City of Philadelphia is offering an unpaid internship. Click here for more details. Posted 9/18/17.
- Pacem in Terris (Latin for 'Peace on Earth') has a number of Internship opportunities
for the coming school year. Click here for more details. Posted 8/30/17.
- West Chester University's Sustainability Advisory Council (SAC) seeks a WCU Bike Share
Intern. Click here for more information. Posted 7/12/17.
- The Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC) is seeking an intern to work in the Water
Resource Planning Section to help improve the commission’s data analysis capabilities.
The paid internship is available for approximately 30 hours/week, May – August 2017.
Students majoring in environmental science, engineering, or planning are encouraged
to apply. Job Duties Include: Populating the commission’s integrated database; Researching
up-to-date contact information for permittees; Reviewing older approvals to determine
their current status; and Gathering and recording locational data for permits. To
Apply: Interested applicants should send a resume to Kent Barr at Kent.Barr@drbc.nj.gov by May 15, 2017. http://www.nj.gov/drbc/home/spotlight/approved/20170502_internship.html. Posted 5/4/17.
- ASRC is seeking motivated and passionate college students looking for paid internships.
They currently have 9 openings at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.
Candidates should have a passion for space and technology. Open summer hire positions
include: 17000824 – Technical Writer, 17000825 – STEM Education Public Outreach, 17000826
– Video Production, 17000827 – Education Public Outreach, 17000828 – Project Support
Specialist, 17000829 – Web Designer, 17000830 – Social Media, 17000831 - Communications,
17000850 – Resource Analyst.Students can apply by visiting http://asrcfederal.com/careers/jobs and entering the associated job number in the search field. Posted 4/17/17.
- Berks County Planning Commission has one spot open for their internship program. Program
begins approximately May 17th. Click here for more details. Posted 4/12/17.
- The US Forestry Service is hiring for multiple, paid, summer-time Pathway interns
for this coming summer. Go to www.fs.fed.us/WorkForNature for details. Posted 4/12/17.
- TRAINING: New Jersey Local Technical Assistance Program has training courses available.
Full details here. Posted 4/5/17.
- The City of Philadelphia has internship opportunities. Click here for more detail and click here for internship applications. Posted 3/17/17.
- West Chester University is looking for a Summer Horticulture Intern with a focus on
green roofs. Click here for more information. Posted 3/9/17.
- The NSF Spatiotemporal Innovation Center (STC) is looking for 4-6 undergrad research
assistants to serve as NSF REU Summer Fellows in 2017. They will potentially work
at George Mason University, Harvard University, or University of California which
all depends on funding availability from NSF. Please click here for more information. Posted 3/8/17.
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) in Allentown, PA seeks
a qualified planning student for their 2017 Summer Internship. Click here for more information. Posted 3/3/17.
- The Southwestern Pennsylvania Commission is seeking summer interns (May through August).
Hourly rate will be $12.50/hour. Travel will be reimbursed at $0.535/mile. For more
information click here.
- Berks County Planning Commission currently seeks two (2) work study positions for
the summer of 2017. This work study program is designed for a planning/GIS related
student. For more info, click here. Posted 1/3/17.
- An UNPAID Planning & Zoning internship opportunity within Harford County, MD, Department
of Planning & Zoning. All interested parties must visit www.harfordcountymd.gov/employment to apply online. Posted 9/6/16.
- Applications are now being accepted for both the Summer and Fall 2016 internship semesters. Please visit the National Geographic careers website to apply. Interns may be assigned to work in one of the many divisions within the National
Geographic Society; individual projects and assignments will vary. Most include some
degree of research, writing, working in teams, self-direction, and being able to manage
many tasks at once. Please find more information about application requirements below.
All materials must be received by midnight TONIGHT April 8, 2016. Posted 4/8/16.