Graduates of Geography programs have a wide variety of careers open to them, but usually they do not have "Geographer" in the title. Examples include Planners, Spatial Analysts, Travel Consultants, Foresters, GIS Technicians or GIS Analysts, Project Directors, Transportation Specialists, Environmental Consultants, Demographers, Township Directors, and Mapping Professionals.
For Geography & Planning careers, review the Recent Job Postings listed below or click on the following agencies for other job possibilities: Association of American Geographers (AAG), Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission, Philadelphia City Planning Commission, Chester County Planning Commission, Delaware County Planning Department, New Castle County, Montgomery County Planning Department, Lancaster County Planning Department, Berks County Planning Department, Lehigh County Planning Department, Brandywine Conservancy, Penn Environment, Delaware River Basin Commission, Cape May County, Redlands CA, Esri, Wetlands Institute, Natural Lands Trust, Cumberland County, Tioga County, Lycoming County, Potter County Planning Commission, Bradford County, United States Forest Service, DE State Parks, NJ State Parks, and PA State Parks.
Recent Job Postings: Check back here regularly as postings are updated as soon as our Department is made aware of an opportunity.
- The Fund for the Public Interest has full-time summer positions available. Click here for the job posting, visit their website here or call them directly at 1-800-75-EARTH. Posted 4/23/18.
- Tookany/Tacony-Frankford Watershet Partnership seeks a full time Upstream Conservation Leader. For more details, click here. Posted 4/6/18.
- Esri, Philadelphia Regional Office, has a job opening for Solution Engineer-Global Water Practice. View the updated posting here or visit their website. Posted 3/23/18.
- The Center for Regional Analysis (CRA) in Lacaster County seeks a Junior Analyst. Click here for more details. Posted 3/6/18.
- Lower Macungie Township in the Lehigh Valley is seeking a candidate for Assistant Planning Director. Click here for more details. Posted 2/28/18.
- The Lehigh Valley Planning Commission (LVPC) is seeking a candidate for Director of Transportation Planning. For more details, click here. Posted 2/28/18.
- North Penn Water Authority is hiring a GIS Technician. For more information click here or visit their website. Posted 2/26/18.
- McMahon Transportation Engineers & Planners in Exton, PA is hiring a Traffic & Parking Counter. Click here for more details and/or visit their website www.mcmahonassociates.com/careers. Posted 2/8/18.
- The DVRPC is hiring a Transportation Planner/Research Analyst II in the Office of Corridor Planning to conduct planning and technical analysis. Click here for more details. Posted 2/5/18.
- There are three career opportunities (Data Analyst, Program Officer for Research & Analytics, Program Officer for Impact & Evaluation), that require a Master's degree in Geography or Planning with Enterprise Business Partners. For more information visit their website by clicking here. Posted 2/5/18.
- The Cape May County Planning Department seeks a Senior Planning Aide. Click here to view the job posting. Posted 2/1/18.
- Chester County Planning Commission seeks a Planner IV Requisition No. 2288. Click here for more details. Posted 1/30/18.
- The Philadelphia Regional Census Center has employment opportunities available. Click here for more details. Posted 1/30/18.
- DVRPC is hiring for a Traffic Counting Technician (Planning Assistant I) position. Click here for more details. Posted 1/24/18.
- Chester County, PA's Department of Open Space Preservation has an opening for a fulltime Stewardship Coordinator. Click here for more details. Posted 1/16/18.
- New Castle County, DE has a GIS Analyst position available and a Planning Position available. Click here for more details. Posted 1/11/18.
- The State of Delaware is accepting employment applications for a Planner IV. To view the job posting click here. Posted 11/13/17.
- The Township of Toms River seeks a GIS Draftsperson. Click here for job posting. Posted 11/6/17.
- West Whiteland Township seeks Permits Coordinator/Admin Assistant. Click here for job posting. Posted 11/6/17.
- DVRPC seeks a Principal Transportation Engineer/Planner. Click here for job posting. Posted 11/3/17.
- Lehigh County Authority seeks a GIS Specialist. Click here for job posting. Posted 10/27/17.
- The University of Delaware's Delaware Geological Survey seeks a part-time GIS Analyst. To view posting, click here. Posted 10/5/17.
- Natural Lands is offering two positions in urban conservation. To view postings click here for VP, Conservation Services and here for Manager of GIS. Posted 9/20/17.
- Delaware Department of Transportation has two Planner I positions available. Click here for posting. DelDOT also has one Planner V open for 6 more days. Click here for posting. Posted 8/25/17.
- ESE Consultants, Inc is seeking Landscape Architects/Land Planners to join their team in Horsham, PA. A landscape degree is not required; job entails preparing base maps and conceptual layouts to determine yield on parcels of land. For more information click here. Posted 8/10/17.
- The Northeast Pennsylvania Alliance is seeking applicants for a Transportation Planning Specialist. Application deadline is August 31, 2017. Click here for more details. Posted 8/2/17.
- A full time, one-year opening is available at the Penn State Americorps Service with their Sustainable Food Systems Program. Click here for more details. Posted 7/20/17.
- The Atlantic County Government has an Assistant Engineer position available in their Planning/Engineering Department located in Northfield, NJ. Click here for more information. Posted 7/12/17.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission has two openings; Transportation Modeler/Analyst and Senior Transportation Planner. Please click the links for more information. Posted 7/12/17.
- The Philadelphia Regional Office is recruiting for Geographic Specialist positions located in the Philadelphia and the New York Regional Census Centers. Follow the following links for the actual job postings. Philadelphia Openings and New York Openings. Posted 6/28/17.
- Natural Lands has a stewardship assistant position available. Click here for more information. Posted 6/27/17.
- The DVRPC is hiring a Communications coordinator. Click here for the job posting. Posted 6/7/17.
- The DVRPC is hiring a Principal Transportation Planner. Visit their website here
http://www.dvrpc.org/HumanResources/JobOpenings/ and click here for the job posting. Posted 5/25/17.
- The Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office is currently looking for a new GIS analyst. The job description can be found here. If interested in the position please email your resume to Justin Hood at email@example.com, or Andrew Calvo at firstname.lastname@example.org. This posting will remain open until 5/29/17. Posted 5/24/17.
- New Castle County, DE is looking for a planner with GIS and other analysis capabilities. Applications close 5.20.17. Please click here for more information. Posted 5/17/17.
- ESE Consultants, Inc. has a Land Planner II position available. Click here for job description but please note, the job description says ‘must have a degree in Landscape Architect‘ but a degree or background in land planning is acceptable. Also, do not be thrown off by the CADD requirement. Please contact Dr. Ives Dewey if you are interested in applying. Posted 5/4/17.
- The DVRPC is hiring a GIS Specialist, click here for the job posting. They are also hiring a Transportation Planner, click here for the job posting. Posted 3/20/17.
- Sussex County seeks a GIS Specialist. Click here for their website, click here for their job posting and click here for employment application. Posted 3/15/17.
- South Jersey Transportation Planning Organizations is offering two new full-time entry level positions, one for a Public Outreach Planner and one for an Assistant Planner/Engineer. Click here to visit their website. Posted 3/13/17.
- Plan-It Geo seeks Tree Inventory Technicians in Maryland, Colorado and across the Midwest and West and East Coasts. Click here for more information. Posted 3/13/17.
- The DVRPC is hiring a transportation planner/research analyst (RA II) in the office of Transportation and Corridor Studies. For more information click here. Posted 3/9/17.
- The federal government has 78 community planner positions available. Click here for more information. Posted 3/9/17.
- The Lehigh and Northampton Transportation Authority (LANTA) in Allentown, PA is currently seeking a full time Transit Planner. They are also seeking a qualified planning student for their 2017 Summer Internship (visit our Internships page for more details). For the full time job description, click here. Visit their website for more information: www.lantabus.com. Posted 3/3/2017.
- Leidos in Alexandria, VA is seeking a Geospatial Analyst. Click here for more information. Posted 2/28/17.
- The City of Wilmington, Department of Public Works has temporary job positions available for someone who can assist with water sampling and testing. The positions are available immediately. The position is for 20-40 hours per week and could be for a duration of 1-3 months. The rate of pay is $15-$18/hour. Contact Chris Oh directly via email at email@example.com . The full time positions will be posted at a later date. Posted 2/27/17.
- Pennsylvania Resources Council in Pittsburgh has 2 positions open that support PRC’s work in waste reduction, recycling and composting. PRC West is hiring a Zero Waste Specialist. This is a full time seasonal position (April-October) which implements zero waste services and strategies at large community events in the Pittsburgh area. The position also assists with PRC’s collection events including the Household Chemical Collection, Hard to Recycle and our Pharmaceutical Take Back programs. A great entry level position to learn about waste, resources and how simple decisions can make sure our resources are not wasted. See the full position HERE. PRC West is hiring an Environmental Analyst. The EA operates the Pennsylvania Recycling Hotline which helps residents find answers to questions about recycling. In addition the EA supports PRC’s varied programs with data management, analysis and reporting. This is a full time permanent position. Posted 2/22/17.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission seeks a Planner/Research Analyst (RA I/II) in the Office of Smart Growth. Click here for the job announcement and click here for more details. Posted 2/20/17.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission seeks a GIS Specialist (TS I/II). Click here for the job posting and delails. Posted 2/6/17.
- The Chester County Planning Commission is seeking a Technical Services
Specialist to provide advanced Geographic Information System (GIS)
solutions for department projects and specialized applications. The
Technical Services Specialist will be required to possess knowledge of
advanced GIS operations and related programming skills to help create
and maintain applications for use by Planning Commission staff. For more information click herePosted 1/26/17.
- NSGIC is looking for a Technical Developer and a Senior Technical Developer. Click here for more info. Posted 1/10/17.
- Assistant planner opening at West Whiteland Township. Click here for more info. Posted 1/10/17.
- U.S. Census Bureau jobs: New York Region click here; Philadelphia Region click here. Posted 1/3/17.
- GIS Analyst Position has opened for the City of Philadelphia. For more info click here. Posted 12/20/16.
- Somerset County is accepting applications for a GIS Analyst Position. The application closing date is 12/30/16. Click here for a job description and click here for instructions on how to apply. Posted 12/19/16.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission seeks a Transportation Modeler/Analyst and a Transportation Planner. For more information, click here. Posted 12/6/16.
- Washington College seeks a GIS Program Director. For more information click here. Posted 12/6/16.
- Cumberland County, New Jersey is searching for a Geographic Information Specialist II. Click here for details. Posted 11/23/16.
- The State of New Jersey Highlands Water Protection and Planning Council is searching for a GIS Specialist II. Click here for more details. Posted 11/18/16.
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commision is hiring a Transportation Planner Research Analyst II. For more information click here. Posted 11.17.16.
- Wildlands Conservancy is a regional, non-profit land trust that operates primarily in the Lehigh Valley and Pocono-region of the Lehigh River Watershed. This position is geared more towards someone with a Bachelor’s degree, but they would certainly consider someone with a Master’s degree and the right qualifications. Click here for more details. Posted 11.3.16.
- Luzerne County Planning Department is searching for a transportation planner. Please click here for more details. Posted 11.2.16.
- Somerset County is hiring a GIS Analyst with an application closing date of 11/14/16. Click here for more details on the position. Click here to apply with their HR Department. Posted 11.2.16.
- The Public Interest Network is a group of nonprofit organizations working to address some of the most challenging civic and societal issues at the present moment. These issues include protecting our air and water; safeguarding consumers; and winning election reforms. Two of their partner organizations have a few entry-level positions open and are seeking recent alumni and/or graduating seniors to fill these positions. PennEnvironment -- based in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh -- is seeking to hire a Campaign Organizer. The campaign organizer assists with research, lobbying, communications, and community organizing on our campaigns to reduce carbon pollution and protect clean water. Click here for more info. The US Public Interest Research Group has two open positions. The Digital Organizer works to organize online strategy for one of US PIRG’s campaigns to protect consumers from unscrupulous corporate practices or get big money out of politics. This position is based in Denver. Click here for more info. The Campaign Organizer -- based in Washington, DC -- assists with research, lobbying, and community organizing on one of their campaigns mentioned above. Click here for more info. Posted 10/28/16.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission is seeking a Staff Accountant (AA I). The ideal candidate will hold a Bachelors in Accounting. The Staff Accountant will work closely with Senior Accountants in the areas of payroll, time sheets, accounts payable, sub-contractor invoices, general ledger reconciliations and analysis, and audits. The incumbent may have prior experience as an Accountant and/or have related administrative and technical skills. See the job postings for all details of these positions: http://www.dvrpc.org/HumanResources/JobOpenings/. Posted 10/5/16.
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC) has an Executive Office Assistant position available. Please click here for more info. Posted 9/23/16.
- The City of Newark Delaware has a GIS Technician job opportunity opening. Please click here for more information. Posted 9/6/16.
- Brandywine Conservancy has a full time position available. Click here for the posting. Posted 8/31/16.
- East Bradford Township seeks an innovative leader to fill the position of Director of Property and Recreation. Salary range $50,000-$80,000 with excellent benefits. Please click here for more information. Posted 8/25/16.
- The DVRPC has a transportation modeler/analyst position. Please click here for more information. Posted 8/8/16.
- The West Chester Food Co-Op is offering a part time employment opportunity starting late summer/fall of 2016. For more information please click here. Posted 8/5/16.
- City of Lakewood has a civil service job position opening for a City Planner I or II. Please visit www.onelakewood.com for more information and to send your resume. Application deadline is Friday, August 19th. Posted 8/4/16.
- Paid Campaign Jobs With PennPIRG!Request Information or Schedule an Interview by clicking here. Posted 8/1/16.
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Division has a technical specialist position available with responsibilities that will include updating webpages, google analytics reporting, data entry, and clean-up of databases. For more information click HERE. To apply send resume or CV with a cover letter to human resources via email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 215-592-9125 or mail to 190 N. Independence Mall West 8th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19106. Posted 7/29/16.
- NJ Pinelands Commission, seeks a full time Management Information and Geographic Information Systems manager. Send resumes and cover letter by August 12, 2016 to Pinelands Commission, PO Box 359, New Lisbon, NJ 08064 or email a pdf formate to email@example.com. For more information please visit http://www.nj.gov/pinelands/home/employ.shtml. Posted 7/26/16.
- DVRPC has 3 positions available: The first is a Planner/Research Analyst II/II (RA II/III) in the Office of Long-Range Planning. Some of the responsibilities include: developing and conducting a long-term financial plan for transportation investments, a regional transportation system needs assessment, performance measure targets and indicators, various scenario-planning exercises, and outreach activities to planning partners and the public. The successful candidate will also assist in activities related to the region’s Congestion Management Process and safety program.
The second vacancy is a Transportation Planner II/III (RA II/III) residing in the Office of Capital Programs. Some of the responsibilities include participation in the development of a considerable number of meetings with member agencies and the preparation of support materials. Project development activities include coordination with DOT’s, Counties, Transit Operators, and other DVRPC staff, to help evaluate and prioritize proposals, and identify appropriate scope, costs, and schedules of projects. The third position is for a Traffic Counting Technician (PA I) in the Office of Travel Monitoring. Some of the responsibilities are the technical and manual work to collect transportation systems data. See the posting for all details of the position.
See the job postings for all details of these positions: http://www.dvrpc.org/HumanResources/JobOpenings/.
- The Planner II Position in the Office of State Planning Coordination has been re-opened. You can find the posting at:
http://www.jobaps.com/DE/sup/BulPreview.asp?R1=071416&R2=MFEA02&R3=100200 . Applications are due by 7/21/16 at 11:59 pm. Contact person is Miriam Pomilio Geospatial Coordination, Office of State Planning Coordination, 122 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. South, Dover, DE 19901. Email: Miriam.Pomilio@state.de.us Phone: 302-739-3090Fax: 302-739-5661. Posted 7/19/16.
- Turnberry Solutions, Philadelphia, PA. Job description: Team is engaged in establishing a geo spatial center of excellence, Must have experience working with products from ESRI - which is a mandatory skills (within the Arcmap, RGIS product line), Looking for someone with lots of training on the desktop application and some exposure to server, SQL skills - comfortable with SQL queries and interacting with our DBMS (SQL with geospacial functions - any SQL Server), Safe Software FME (common used in geospatial in bulk) not mandatory, but would be good, and Python - not mandatory. Interested applicants should send resumes to Reem Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Posted 7/6/16.
- City of Harrington Planner/GIS Coordinator has an immediate opening. This position is responsible to provide technical assistance to City customers for planning and zoning compliance. Works with developers to facilitate resolution of planning-related issues/problems. Performs technical reviews of site development plans for compliance with City ordinances, policy, and sound planning principles. Maintains the city GIS mapping system. Develops legal notices, reports, maps, etc. for the Planning Commission and other appointed boards and commissions. This position works to coordinate economic development activities within the city.
Requires education or training equivalent to a bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration or related field. Certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners is preferred. A valid driver’s license is required.
The position requires sedentary work involving standing or walking for brief periods, could require some lifting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular basis. Requires moderate dexterity in operating machinery, tools, or office equipment. The candidate must pass a background check, drug screening and physical. The City of Harrington offers an excellent benefit package. Starting salary will be determined by experience and education of the candidate with a salary range of $42,900-$47,400. Only candidates that are selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a resume and fill out the Employment Application detailing your work and educational experience by email to email@example.com or in a sealed envelope to City of Harrington, 106 Dorman St., Harrington, DE 19952 marked “Planner” by close of business on July 29, 2016. The City of Harrington is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Posted 6/30/16.
- Princeton GIS-related summer internship. Posted 5/20/16.
Seasonal GIS Position with Delaware State Parks as a Tradeshelper - GIS Technician, $15-$17/hour
Division of Parks and Recreation, 89 Kings Highway, Dover, Delaware 19901. To apply, send resume including work and education; knowledge, skills and abilities; and sample of GIS products to Michael.Krumrine@state.de.us by June 15, 2016. Posted 5/20/16.
The Bronx Borough Office of the Department of City Planning in New York City seeks experienced City Planners or Urban Designers to assist in the implementation of its robust work program. Posted 5/12/16.
Chester County Planning Commission has a planner position available. Posted 5/11/16.
Delaware Greenways has an immediate opening for a part-time community and transportation planner.
Candidates with prior community and/or transportation planning or transportation engineering experience preferred as well as knowledge of ArcView, MS Office and InDesign. Interested candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Click here for more details. Posted 5/11/16.