Admission Procedures and Requirements
Applications and supporting documents must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies no later than May 15 for admission the following fall semester, and October 15 for admission the following spring semester.
You are responsible for assuring that all necessary materials are received by the Office of Graduate Studies by the application deadlines.
All application materials become the property of West Chester University and may not be returned or forwarded to another institution.
General Materials Needed
- Application found online via Graduate Studies Office. APPLY NOW.
- $50.00 Application Fee. Paid via the application website.
- Written statement of your professional goals. This statement can be included with the online application. Please be sure to review Program Requirements to see if there are specific questions asked of the goals statement.
- TOEFL or IELTS-Academic Test scores submitted via ETS. The University minimum for the TOEFL score is 80; minimum IELTS is 6.5. Please note different programs may require higher scores.***
- WES Evaluation (or another NACES credential). Required if you attended a university or college outside of the United States.
- Two letters of recommendation. Can be submitted using form sent automatically from the application or via regular mail in a sealed envelope. If letters are written in another language, a certified copy in English must be provided.
***West Chester University requires international applicants to provide proof of English language proficiency. International applicants may demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting TOEFL results, IELTS Academic Test results, or by completing an ELS Language Center’sintensive English for Academic Purposes Level 112.
West Chester University partners with ELS Educational Services to provide conditional admission for students who are academically qualified, but who have not met our English Language proficiency requirements at the time of application to the university. We accept proof of completion of ELS Language Center’sintensive English for Academic Purposes Level 112 as satisfying the requirements for English proficiency for many degree programs at the graduate level. Students who have met the university’s academic requirements, but have not yet satisfied the English requirement, may be considered for conditional admission based upon eventual completion of ELS Language Centers level 112. To learn more about this program, ELS locations, start dates, the West Chester University-ELS partnership, and to apply to an ELS Center, visit West Chester University's ELS Language Center.
Additional Program Specific Materials Needed
- Graduate Record Examination, the Millers Analogies Test, or Graduate Management Admissions Test. You can send your scores to the Office of Graduate Studies directly from ETS. They can be submitted electronically or through regular mail. WCU offers GRE and GMA prep courses through the Continuing Professional Education Office.
- Audition. For Music applicants only.
- Supplemental information. Examples include, but are not limited to, writing sample, forms, and additional letters of recommendation.
- Interview. Some departments will require an interview as part of the application process.
Please review all program specific requirements before submitting your application. Program Requirements
Where to Submit Materials
- Electronically. Transcripts, Test Scores, WES evaluations can all be received electronically. Notification can be sent directly from ETS, WES, etc to GRADSTUDY@WCUPA.EDU. We must receive the documents from the organization sending the scores/transcripts.
- Regular Mail. Letters of recommendation not submitted via online form, transcripts, and test scores can all be submitted in sealed envelopes from the recommender and institution providing the transcripts/test scores. Writing samples, resumes, and other supplemental materials can be sent directly from you to our office.
- McKelvie Hall
102 W Rosedale Ave
West Chester, PA 19383