- Undergrad Major & Minor: B.S in Sociology (concentration in Clinical Sociology, Forensic Sociology, and Deaf Studies). Minor: Pre-Law
- Hometown: Nepal Hometown in US: Plymouth Meeting, PA
- Activities: Trail walking, Baking, Dancing, Story narration, making random videos for YouTube,
- What should you know about me? I am an international student and I currently work with children diagnosed with Autism. I love helping people and making new friends.
- Fun fact: I can speak 5 different languages.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: As a first-generation college student and an international student, I had a very hard time navigating my first couple semesters. I was not sure how to ask for help and struggled managing my time and catch up with online classes, which resulted in academic probation.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: I am very proud of myself for learning how to ask for help. It helped me academically and mentally. I was able to change the biggest challenge into my biggest success and graduate with academic honors and job offer from two of my internship sites.
2022-2023 Success Coaches
Success Coaches are graduate level students who have obtained a bachelor’s degree and are trained to offer personalized support. Meet our Success Coaches below:
Name: Erica Belovich
Current Major/Program: Communication Studies
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Communication Studies with minors in History and Civic & Professional Leadership
- Hometown: Northampton, PA
- Activities: Crafting, napping, drinking coffee, and hanging out with my cats!
- What should you know about me? I loved my experience as an undergrad at WCU and I am so excited to continue my education here and to continue being involved in this wonderful community!
- Fun Fact: I am obsessed with the Pixar movie Coco (I cry every time I watch it).
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Adjusting to campus life.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Getting involved on campus!
Name: Emma Billingsley
Current Major/Program: Higher Education Policy and Student Affair
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Psychology with a minor in Dance
- Hometown: Prospect Park, Pennsylvania
- Activities: Neurodiverse Employment Network advisory board, the “Diverseability” web show, dancing, singing, reading, watching TV shows, and hanging out with other people!
- What should you know about me? I am a huge advocate for disability rights and acceptance.
- Fun Fact: One unique experience I’ve had is seeing Billie Eilish perform and host “Saturday Night Live” in New York!
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: My biggest challenge as an Undergrad was navigating different friendships and relationships.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: My biggest success as an Undergrad was being heavily involved and receiving first runner up in the Miss WCU 2020 competition with a platform of Autism Acceptance.
Name: Sarah Smith
Current Major/Program: Speech Language Pathology Master's Program
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Communication Sciences and Disorders with a minor in Deaf Studies
- Hometown: Warrington, PA
- Activities: Staying active and spending time outside
- What should you know about me? I am a certified yoga instructor and completed the yoga teacher training during my undergraduate career at WCU!
- Fun fact: I am a dual citizen with citizenship in the United States and Canada.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: My biggest challenge as an undergraduate student was figuring out the best study method in college, since it was very different than my high school study habits.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: My biggest success as an undergraduate student was getting involved in my major because it helped me better understand the content, the professors, and make friends in my major.
Name: Javier F. Brown III
Current Major/Program: Higher Education Policy & Student Affairs
- Undergrad Major & Minor: B.A. in Psychology
- Hometown: Lancaster, Pa
- Activities: Spending time with family and friends, Working out, playing sports, hiking, video games, traveling, Millersville Concerned Men (MU)
- What should you know about me? I love helping people to not only reach their potential but get to where they describe as success!
- Fun fact: I played basketball, football, baseball, volleyball, and Judo. Learned some Muay Thai while I was in NYC for 6 months. I tried out playing soccer and training in professional wrestling.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Figuring out what I wanted to do as a career and finding a major that best suits that career path and my interests.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Receiving the Newman Civic Fellowship Award and joining the Newman Civic Fellowship Class of 2019-2020.
Name: Shannon Kelly
Current Major/Program: Speech-Language Pathology
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Psychology with minor in Human Development & Family Studies
- Hometown: Harrisburg, PA
- Activities: Listening to podcasts, trying new recipes, video games, and flipping furniture.
- What should you know about me? I have gone to 4 different colleges! I have learned a lot about managing school and life and love to support others toward their college success.
- Fun fact: I make awesome copycat Starbucks drinks.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Balancing school, work, and extracurriculars while trying to make friends as a transfer student and commuter.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Building meaningful mentorships with my professors and graduating with highest honors.
Name: Kya Lomax
Current Major/Program: Masters in School Counseling
- Undergrad Major and Minor: Human Development and Family Sciences with a minor in Urban Education
- Hometown: Wilmington, Delaware
- Activities: Reading, spending time with friends and family, shopping, dancing and watching movies.
- What should you know about me: I really love getting to interact and connect with new people.
- Fun fact: I am following my dad’s footsteps in getting my Masters from WCU.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Studying and waking up on time for classes.
- Biggest success as an Undergrad: Becoming a Resident Assistant and making the Dean's List.
Name: Kerry McGlynn
Current Major/Program: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Psychology with minor in Creative Writing
- Hometown: Exton, PA
- Activities: Reading, Writing, Yoga, Running
- What should you know about me? After living in Pittsburgh, the last few years, I'm excited to be back in the area and really make the most out of my time at West Chester!
- Fun fact: I studied abroad in Dublin during undergrad.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Transferring schools.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Completing two internships related to my major.
Name: Lydia Stone, Smarthinking GA
Current Major/Program: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Undergraduate Major & Minor: Psychology
- Hometown: York, PA
- Activities: Hiking and watching Korean dramas
- What should you know about me: I'm excited to begin graduate school at WCU and help students reach their highest potential!
- Fun fact: I have traveled to five different countries.
- Biggest challenge as an undergrad: Writing my senior research.
- Biggest success as an undergrad: Obtaining Honors in the Discipline for my senior research.
Name: Marshall Higley
Current Program: Educational Counseling
- Undergrad Major & Minor: B.S. in Psychology
- Hometown: Sayre, PA
- Activities: All things sports, Spending time with friends and family, Cooking, Going to the movie theatre.
- What should you know about me? I will be entering my second and final year of my master’s program here at West Chester. For my undergraduate studies, I attended Pennsylvania State University - Altoona, where I was also a member of the men’s basketball team. I have a strong desire for helping others, and love forming relationships.
- Fun Fact: I have a 2-year-old black Labrador Retriever named Champion.
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Balancing my studies, extracurricular activities, and social life.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Coinciding with my biggest challenge, being able to balance all the above and graduate from a 4-year program on time, would be my biggest success.
Name: Nicole Thorp
Current Program: Social Work
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Psychology with Minors in Deaf Studies: Culture & Youth Empowerment and Urban Studies
- Hometown: Ridley, Pennsylvania
- Activities: Dancing, painting, crochet, reading, hiking, and hanging out with friends.
- What should you know about me? I love helping people in any way that I can! I love honesty so do not be afraid to tell me you do not like something. A corny joke always brightens my day!
- Fun fact: I have a fraternal twin and can make a three-leaf clover with my tongue 😊
- Biggest Challenges as an Undergrad: Getting myself out of my comfort zone to make new friends and find my own identity away from home.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Joining different organizations on campus and taking on leadership roles while also creating my own during the pandemic that ending up winning an award for New Student Organization in Spring 2021.
Name: Jazlyn Colon
Current Major/Program: Accelerated Master of Public Health with a concentration in Community Health
- Undergrad Major & Minor: Public Health with a minor in Health Sciences
- Hometown: Middlesex, NJ
- Activities: Dance, singing, playing guitar, ukulele, and teaching myself piano, yoga, art, hiking, and being a fulltime dog mom!
- What should you know about me? I am extremely passionate about education and mental health, so it truly is my goal to help you. I went through a lot during undergrad and had so many crazy experiences at WCU, so I am hoping that you feel comfortable enough to share what you are going through with me. College is an extremely hard but rewarding experience and I truly learned that firsthand during my undergrad so if there is absolutely anything I can do to help or any wisdom I can impart I will!
- Fun fact: I work as a pharmacy technician at CVS!
- Biggest Challenge as an Undergrad: Struggling with toxic relationships that affected my performance in class and mental health.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Graduating in the top 20% of my class with honors which was something I truly did not think I was capable of until I realized my potential.
Name: Nikita Maharjan
Current Major/Program: Social Work and certificate in Human Resource Management
Name: Sean Bastian
Current Program: M.A. in Mathematics Program
- Undergrad Major & Minor: B.A. in Mathematics and Computer Science Minor
- Hometown: West Chester, PA
- Activities: DCAP, Pi Mu Epsilon, Mathematics Lounge Tutor for the Math Dept.
- What should you know about me? I will be graduating as an undergraduate on 5/14. I will be going into my first semester as a graduate this fall. I have a profound sense of humor, respect, and loyalty. I love doing math for fun. I am helpful towards my fellow DCAP members and classmates. Some of the DCAP members nickname me the “King of Self-Advocacy" due to my immense knowledge in the topic of self-advocacy.
- Fun fact: I have a superpower in which I never get cold in the winter even when it snows.
- Biggest Challenges as an Undergrad: I did struggle to stay organized and have my papers all scattered instead of neatly stacked.
- Biggest Success as an Undergrad: I have gotten incredibly talented in disclosing my disability and advocating for myself on concerning topics and issues.
Name: Connor Mears
Current Program: Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Undergrad Major & Minor: B.A. in Psychology, minor in Business Technology
Hometown: Mount Olive, NJ
Activities: Reading, Writing Poetry, Weight training, Breathing Exercises & Meditation
What should you know about me? I am very open-minded and like to infuse humor into my everyday activities and interactions. I believe life is better with laughs and smiles along the way.
Fun fact: Two of my favorite life experiences are attending Super Bowls XLII and XLVI in Phoenix and Indianapolis.
Biggest Challenges as an Undergrad: Catching up on classes and starting fresh after switching from the business school to the college of arts and sciences when I changed my major from Finance to Psychology after my sophomore year.
Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Graduating Magna Cum Laude and winning an award for most outstanding psychology student my senior year after starting the major my junior year.
Name: Sami Vedisco
Current Program: Higher Education Policy and Student Affairs (HEPSA)
Undergrad Major & Minor: Psychology
Hometown: Clifton Heights, PA
Activities: Binge-watching T.V. shows, reading, and going to the beach.
What should you know about me? I have worked at a childcare center for the last five years and love it! I am looking forward to working with college students now that I am in the HEPSA program and look forward to the new experiences to come. I am here to help!
Fun fact: I have met most the cast of the "Riverdale", which is a show on the CW.
Biggest Challenges as an Undergrad: I think balancing everything such as work, school, and friends. Also living on campus for the first time as a senior and away from home was difficult for me.
Biggest Success as an Undergrad: Graduating from DCCC with my Associates and my Bachelor's from West Chester.