The Bachelor of Music in Performance will provide you with an education where excellence is promoted and expression is celebrated. The performance curriculum incorporates a variety of styles and will prepare you to apply them to your specific instrument and perform them appropriately. Through collaboration with other musicians, accompanists, and instrumental or choral ensembles, you will learn proper rehearsal and performance techniques. Our faculty will assist you with written critiques concerning artistic style, performance practice, repertoire selection, conducting technique, and notes for your own recitals. Through comprehensive courses, dedicated faculty guidance, and numerous performance experiences, you will be equipped to mold your passion for performance into a promising career.
- Opportunities to participate in variety of ensembles including 9 choirs, 6 bands, 2 orchestras, 4 jazz groups, and 18 chamber ensembles
- Individualized instruction and guidance from your instrumental teacher throughout your degree sequence
- International performance opportunities facilitated by faculty relationships with groups and festivals in various countries
- Senior recitals with personalized repertoire selected through collaboration between professor and student
- Yearly concerto competition where students audition for the opportunity to perform solos accompanied by Wells School of Music’s orchestra or wind symphony
- Weekly scheduled studio hour that cultivates collaboration between all students of the same instrument. These sessions include guest masterclasses, peer performance critiques, and faculty lead discussions on practice techniques and pedagogy.
- Distinguished faculty members who are devoted educators, progressive scholars, and active performers in the industry
What can I do with this degree?
Our graduates use their broad foundation in all aspects of music to pursue paths within the field, including:
- Performing as soloists, accompanists, and ensemble members of national and international opera companies, orchestras, and military bands
- Pursuing music industry professions including roles as production assistants, development associates, and other jobs within music business
- Educating music students through private studio instruction and collegiate teaching
- Earning advanced degrees at distinguished graduate schools
Our music performance graduates enjoy active performing careers with national and international musical organizations, including orchestras, opera companies, and military bands. Our performance graduates have gone on to perform with:
- The Philadelphia Orchestra
- Metropolitan Opera
- Chicago Symphony
- Stan Kenton Orchestra
- U.S. Army Band (Army Blues jazz ensemble)
- U.S. Air Force Band (Max Impact rock band)
- U.S. Navy Band (Cruisers popular music ensemble)
- Waverly Consort
- and Broadway Shows.
Our music performance majors have been admitted to elite graduate programs at prestigious institutions, including:
- The Curtis Institute of Music
- Manhattan School of Music
- New England Conservatory
- Eastman School of Music
- Indiana University
- and Peabody Conservatory.