View Text Only Version



Contact Us  


Center for International Programs
West Chester University
320 Mitchell Hall
675 S. Church Street
West Chester, PA 19383

Phone: 610-436-3515
Fax: 610-436-3426

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm

International Student Advising:
Make an appointment.
Limited availability for walk-ins.

Study Abroad Advising:
Make an appointment.
Limited availability for walk-ins.


Understanding F-1 & J-1 Status

In order for international students to study at WCU, they need to have a valid non-immigrant visa status. Most international students admitted to WCU obtain F-1 or J-1 visas. However, it is possible to study in the United States with certain dependent visa categories.

The Student Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP) provides a table of which non-immigrant visa types are able to participate in part-time or full-time studies in the U.S. SEVP oversees the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS).

F-1 Student Visa & I-20

The F-1 visa is the most common student visa and is issued to full-time students enrolled in an academic or language program at a U.S. institution. In order to apply for the F-1 visa, students must first receive their WCU I-20 from the CIP. The I-20 is a three-page form with a CIP official's signature on pages 1 and 2.

Please note that all questions related to the issuing of your WCU I-20 should be directed to the CIP, which is separate from both undergraduate and graduate admissions. Please email I-20 issuance questions to

J-1 Student Visa & DS-2019

The J-1 student visa is an exchange visitor visa that can be issued to students at all academic levels.

In order to apply for the J-1 student visa, students must first receive their DS-2019 from the Center for International Programs (CIP) office. The DS-2019 is a two-page form with a WCU official's signature on page 1.


Email DS-2019 issuance questions


Back to top of page.