From the Co-Chairs
Dr. Peter Loedel
Over the past three years in my role as Director of International Programs, I’ve seen
a tremendous amount of growth and interest in international educational opportunities
ranging from study abroad, faculty-led programs, international partnerships and collaborations
(teaching and research), and international student outreach. I strongly believe that
West Chester University is poised on the precipice of further defining itself not
just as a regional comprehensive university, but a truly global institution of higher
education. I envision the ACE International Laboratory process as an effort to develop
a truly comprehensive WCU “Global Strategy”. I look forward to working with you and
the campus community in this project.
Dr. Vishal Shah
WCU’s mission of graduating students who understand the world in which they live requires us to provide an education to our students that will lead them to be true
global citizens – Citizens who can interact purposefully with people from diverse
places, appreciate diverse cultures and traditions and be able to contribute positively
anywhere on the globe. Ace International Laboratory Process will allow us to collectively
develop a “Global Strategy” that ensures we are fulfilling our mission effectively.
In addition, the strategy that we develop will, hopefully, have a positive impact
on the diversity on campus and the overall campus climate. I look forward to working
with all the members of our community on this project.
West Chester University International Laboratory Goals
The Global Leadership Team will look to develop a set of concrete goals built around
developing a strategic action plan and “WCU Global Strategy” to guide West Chester
University for the future. However, we will start with a guiding set of questions:
- What is West Chester University’s current definition of comprehensive internationalization?
How is this definition different from our understanding of global initiatives?
- What is the current state of the University’s international activities and global
- How do we assess those activities and initiatives? How do we define, operationalize,
and measure West Chester University’s international and global initiative goals?
- What existing strategies and resources exist to promote and develop internationalization
and global initiatives?
- What future strategies and resources are needed to propel West Chester University’s
internationalization and global initiatives to the next level?
About the American Council on Education’s International Laboratory
The Internationalization Laboratory of the American Council on Education (ACE) is
an invitational learning community that assists participating institutions in developing
goals and strategy for comprehensive internationalization.
Benefits to institutions that join the Internationalization Laboratory include:
- The opportunity to participate in an international invitational learning community
- Regular access to expert consultation
- The opportunity to learn from the experiences of institutions with which ACE has worked
- A customized process to accelerate progress on internationalization and ensure concrete
outcomes and deliverables that the institution chooses
Read more details about the ACE International Laboratory.