IS&T is suspending new IT hardware purchases and computer upgrade requests until further
notice as we are experiencing significant delays with purchases of new equipment due
to the global manufacturing issues pertaining to the current COVID situation and the
prioritization of new equipment purchases for first responders and health care sectors.
IS&T will continue to accommodate equipment needs through the existing loaner program. Critical purchase requests approved by Vice President’s will be handled on a case by case basis.
Just as a reminder, per the IT purchase policy hardware or software not purchased through IS&T may not be eligible for reimbursement.
Planning to Work Remotely
When planning to work from home, you should think about the work resources that you'll need at home and the campus resources to which you'll need access. The types of things we need to do our jobs vary, but there are a few things that are common to all. To properly equip yourself for remote work, you'll need:
- Internet service
- Computer or laptop (and power adapter)
- Telephone services
- Webcam or computer webcam for video conferencing (optional)
- Headset or simple earbuds with a mic (as an alternate to your computer speakers)
Options for computers
If you don't already have a work laptop or a home computer that you can use for remote work, you can borrow a laptop from the IST Loaner Program. You may also decide to purchase a laptop; recommended models and configurations for both Windows and Mac computers follow.
Note: To support the University’s move to social distancing for the short term, computing technology is available (there is a limited supply).
Technology in the loaner program includes:
- MiFis (hotspot)
RESERVING A DEVICE
Computers and mobile devices and accessories are limited to the supply on hand. In anticipation of a greater number of requests for technology, IST has made every effort to maximize the number of laptops and devices available for loan from the Work-At-Home loaner pool.
Directions to reserve a device
To reserve a device from the loaner program, complete and submit an Equipment Loan Request form from within ServiceNow.
- Go to the ServiceNow page at www.wcupa.edu/ServiceNow.
- Login using your WCU credentials
- From the Self-Service menu on the left, click Service Catalog, Request Equipment Loan, Departmental Loaner Requests.
- Complete the Departmental Loaner Request form:
- In the Requested for field, enter the name of the person for whom the computer is being reserved.(Location should populate based on name)
- In the Supervisor field, enter the name of the direct supervisor of the person equipment is being requested for.
- In the Phone Number to be Reached field enter the best phone number to be reached
- From the drop-down menu for Employee Type enter whether the request is for Faculty or Staff.
- Specify the device you would like to borrow (Laptop, iPad, WebCam, Mobile HotSpot)
- Click Add to Cart
- Click Proceed to Checkout
- Verify your request details
- Click Checkout (The person submitting the request will receive an email confirmation)
Directions regarding Computer Purchase
If you need help contact IT Help Desk www.wcupa.edu/servicenow | 610-436-3350