Values and Vision
A Statement of Mission and Goals
West Chester University is a community of educators that develops graduates to succeed personally and professionally and contribute to the common good.
WCU GRADUATES WILL:
- Apply scientific reasoning and demonstrate quantitative and qualitative literacy
- Collaborate with others to solve problems and address societal needs
- Communicate effectively and participate in civic discourse
- Engage inclusively in a diverse society
- Understand the ethical implications of decisions and the world in which they live
To fulfill its mission as a public institution serving the Commonwealth, West Chester University will focus on student success and institutional improvement as measured by the degree to which WCU demonstrates:
- Access to learning
- Community and cultural engagement
- Continuous improvement
- Critical thinking
- Scholarly and creative activities
West Chester University is committed to attracting, enrolling, and graduating quality students from a wide variety of educational, cultural, and economic backgrounds. This endeavor requires the University to attract and retain highly qualified faculty and staff and to provide each member of the University community with learning and leadership development opportunities. To this end, the University supports and encourages programs which benefit all people and which seek to eradicate discrimination and injustice. We treasure what we believe to be the highest principles of American society: the worth and uniqueness of each individual, the belief that success is to be earned by individual effort put forth in an environment founded on equality of opportunity, and the appreciation of the ideal of an inclusive society.
We believe that it is incumbent upon all members of our community - staff, students, faculty and administrators - to conduct themselves with civility toward one another at all times. We value the special talents and contributions of each member of our community. We further affirm the worth and dignity of each member and the shared responsibility of all to treat each other as individuals, with respect and courtesy.
As a university owned by the citizens of Pennsylvania, we value our mission to provide the best educational opportunities possible which will enable the University community to successfully address the concerns of a global society. To this end, West Chester University seeks to provide diligent advising for students and to focus on teaching students to think clearly and critically, to make logical and ethical judgments, and to communicate effectively with others.
West Chester University's community strongly supports the principles of academic integrity and academic responsibility, viewing both as the province of every member of the campus community. We hold the highest esteem for teaching directed toward student learning and affirm that mastery of content as well as mastery of teaching skills necessary to communicate such content are paramount.
This values statement is intended to be a living document which will serve West Chester University as it changes and evolves in the coming years.
West Chester University will be a national model for excellence for public regional comprehensive universities and especially noted for:
- Undergraduate programs that actively engage students in connecting the life of the mind to the world in which they live and work.
- The responsiveness of its graduate and post-baccalaureate programs to regional needs.
- Its focus on providing lifelong-learning, technical, and applied skills essential to graduates' success now and in the future.
- A commitment by faculty, staff, and administrators to provide access and to serve effectively the educational needs of a diverse student body.
- Its role as a leading educational and cultural resource and partner in fostering the economic, social, and cultural vitality of southeastern Pennsylvania.