Supplemental Instruction Leader
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania seeks applicants for a Supplemental Instructor Leader who will report to the Director of the Academic Success Center.
The Supplemental Instruction (SI) leaders are current undergraduate students who wish to serve as peer tutors on campus. Moreover, (SI) leaders facilitate student learning and help students better understand concepts or applications of course content. Each SI is assigned one course that typically poses a challenge to undergraduate students. Ideally, the SI leader would have taken the course to which they have been assigned. The SI attends each session and provides weekly small one hour group sessions covering the course content.
The SI Leaders support students and assists them in gaining effective study skills and maximizing their potential for their academic success. While attending the course, the SI Leaders gather insight into the course content and the instruction methods in use. The SI Leaders also maintain ongoing contact with course professors and the Academic Success Center.
• Abide by all SI instructions, procedures and policies set by the Academic Success Center SI program.
• Attend all class meetings of the selected course, take accurate notes, and become familiar with all of the homework/reading assignments and projects for the course.
• Facilitate at least two 60-minute small group study sessions per week throughout the semester.
• Hold 2 hours of office hours per week.
• Provide additional SI sessions as necessary (e.g. prior to quizzes and exams).
• Establish a meeting schedule with the course professor.
• Report immediately to the Director of the ASC when critical issue(s) arises.
• Attend and participate in SI Leader group meetings as scheduled
• Become familiar with campus resources available to students, and provide students with referrals and information about available resources.
• Submit SI attendance reports on a timely basis.
• Work between 10-12 hours per week to attend class, facilitate SI sessions, and hold office hours.
• Attend and participate in SI Leader group meetings in order to report and discuss any issues, concerns, and study strategies with the Director and other SI Leaders.
• Attend all SI training sessions to learn new and innovative approaches to providing supplemental instruction to undergraduate students.
• Handles sensitive issues and information with confidentiality and discretion.
• Effective communication skills.
• Experience with the content of assigned courses, for undergraduate students, an earned grade of B or higher in the selected course.
• Faculty recommendation (content competency is required).
• Capacity to work with students with diverse backgrounds.
• Commitment to work the time assigned.
• Be able to attend an unpaid mandatory training prior to Fall/Spring semester.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must complete an online application and upload a resume and cover letter. All applications must be submitted through the online application system. Mailed, emailed or fax application materials will not be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.