Professional Tutor, Social Sciences and Humanities
Position Summary: Cheyney University of Pennsylvania invites applicants for a Professional Tutor to work with students in the Academic Success Center and provide individualized and, where appropriate, targeted group instruction in the area of the social sciences and humanities. Our professional tutors are committed to their own professional grown, and as such, participate in training which helps to build their skills as highly efficient academic support professionals.
• Provides tutorial services for students who have scheduled appointments and/or drop-ins for academic support in specialized subject areas.
• Responds to scheduled appointments with students as well as follow up appointments.
• Provides problem solving strategies and study skills techniques during tutorial sessions.
• Discusses students’ academic needs in specific subject areas.
• Follows study plans designed by the University.
• Provides information for confidential records of student progress.
• Participates and assists in skill building workshops upon request.
• Completes Tutor Certification forms for students for whom services are provided.
• Provides weekly large group tutorials for students enrolled in developmental courses.
• Ensures the following for computer lab tutorials: students sign in, reviews assignment requirements, coaches with writing, reviews completed work, provides documentation of activities, assists with computer log-ins and answer general questions.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in any area of the social sciences or humanities
• Must have graduated with at least a 2.8 overall GPA and a 3.0 GPA in the subject area where tutoring will be provided.
• One to two years of experience providing tutorial services to individuals or small groups OR one to two years teaching experience.
• Tutoring experience at the college level is preferred.
Instructions for Applying: Applicants must complete an online application and upload a resume and cover letter. All applications must be submitted through the online application system. Mailed, emailed or fax application materials will not be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.