Position Summary: As a faculty member of the Recreation Department, the Athletics Director is responsible for all aspects of Cheyney University's intercollegiate athletic program, which encompasses women's and men's athletics. This position provides leadership, organizes, and directs and controls programs and activities, including strategic planning, budgeting and administrative activities (including fundraising) necessary to achieve a successful athletics program and student athlete academic excellence. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with department, University, conference, and NCAA regulations. The Athletics Director participates in the recruitment, selection, and assignment of athletics personnel; implements the University's Affirmative Action program as it relates to athletics; determines eligibility of students by both the NCAA and University standards; and prepares necessary conference and NCAA eligibility reports. This position develops and ensures compliance with departmental policies and procedures; oversees athletics scholarships and grants; completes and submits annual professional membership applications and reports; and fosters an intercollegiate athletics program that adds to the positive image of the University and its mission. The position of Director of Athletics is a twelve (12) month position classified within the APSCUF collective bargaining unit.
• Successful overall administration of CU's athletic program. Implements athletic programs and policies within the guidelines of the University, NCAA and PSAC. Evaluates the total athletic program to insure its compliance with division, university, conference and NCAA policy.
• Recruits and provides for the selection, organization, supervision and evaluation of the athletic staff and coaches.
• Delegates responsibilities to ensure efficient and productive operation of all administrative, business, fiscal and athletic activities of the department.
• Establishes the department's funding requirements and supervises the overall management and control of the approved fiscal year operating budget for the department and all intercollegiate sports.
• Works toward the development of programs that reflect parity, gender equity and racial/ethnic diversity within athletics and encourage programs to be competitive in PSAC.
• Collaborates with university advancement, and assigned personnel to develop and implement comprehensive fund raising plans and media relations plans.
• Participates in the implementation of a marketing plan for intercollegiate athletics including article publications and panel presentations.
• Enhances and expands booster ties, also with alumni and other support organizations.
• Supervises the effective management, coordination, maintenance and development of the athletic facilities and fields.
• Serves on key university committees as part of the shared governance process and attend conferences and professional meetings as determined by executive leadership. Completes and submits annual professional membership applications and reports.
• Works directly with all coaches in the administration of their programs (i.e., field/facility use, transportation, medical clearance, reports, budget preparation, ordering supplies and equipment).
• Oversees the men and women's student athlete recruiting programs.
• Reviews recommendations on athletic scholarships with athletic coaches and makes final recommendations. Assists the Director of Financial Aid in awarding financial aid to student-athletes in accordance with NCAA and PSAC regulations relative to scholarship and countable aid limitations.
• Maintains complete records of all athletic scholarship allocations, scholarship awards, eligibility, and schedules in consultation with the Compliance Coordinator.
• Ensures student-athletes handbook, operations manual and department policies remain current.
• Schedules all athletic teams for competition and contracts with each institution with assistance of coaches. Prepares the yearly schedule of athletic events including summer camps.
• Oversees the administration of trips, meals, and transportation for all intercollegiate programs with assistance of coaches. Hires game officials for all intercollegiate contests. Arranges for ticket takers, sellers, and other personnel necessary for concessions at athletic events with assistance of coaches.
• Maintains all records related to intercollegiate activities.
• Develops programs to enhance the academic and personal development of CU's scholar athletes including recognition programs.
• Coordinates purchases of athletic equipment. Oversees the use and care of athletic facilities and athletic equipment. Plans and initiates the development and upgrading of facilities and capital projects.
• Handles sensitive issues and information with confidentiality and discretion.
• Additional duties as assigned
• Master's Degree in Athletic Administration, Business, or Physical Education
• 7 years of successful collegiate athletic coaching or administration in a sports related organization or on the NCAA Division I or II level
• Experience in NCAA compliance
• Proven fund raising experience
• Experience working in the role of an NCAA Compliance Officer
Instructions for Applying: Applicants should complete an application, as well as upload a resume and cover letter, in our online application system.
All applications must be submitted through the online application system. Mailed, emailed or faxed application materials will not be considered.
Prior to a final offer of employment, the selected candidate will be required to submit to a background check including, but not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification and criminal background check per Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education policy.