Frequently Asked Questions - APSCUF Tenure-Track Faculty

When can I get my university ID card?

Your ID card will be available in the Sykes Student Union once your information is entered in the PeopleSoft system - typically within one week prior to the start of the semester. It's advisable to call the Ram Card office (x0429) before going over to ensure that your information has been entered into their system and your ID can be created. You will also need to have a signed ID authorization form, which will be given to you during the Benefits Orientation.

What should I know about the difference between 20 & 26 pays?

If you are on a 20-pay cycle you receive 10 pays per semester. If you are on a 26-pay cycle you receive 13 pays per semester and are paid through the summer.

If you are on a 26-pay cycle and for some reason are on an unpaid leave of absence in the fall you will not start receiving pay again until early to mid-March, since the last 3 pays for fall are paid to you in the beginning of the spring semester (this is what allows you to receive pay over the summer).

  Can I change my pay option once I begin employment?

You can only change your pay option effective with the start of each fall semester. Open Enrollment for changing your pay option is in April of each year.

  When do my benefits take effect?

Your benefits are effective on the first day of your contract with the exception of State Paid Life Insurance, which is effective after a three month waiting period.

  How long do I have to make decisions about my benefits choices?

Legally you have 30 days from the effective date of your contract, however any decisions made after Tuesday, September 15, 2009 will not take effect for your first pay, and therefore you will receive double deductions taken for benefits in your second pay.

  When will I receive my benefit cards?

Your medical card(s) will be mailed to your home address within 3-4 weeks of the date you submit your medical insurance enrollment form to the Human Resources office. Please make sure that HR has an accurate mailing address for you.

  What about cards for my Dental, Vision, and Hearing plans?

These plans are administered by the APSCUF Health & Welfare Fund, and are administered by your union. You will receive additional information about these plans during the orientation program.

  Can I change my retirement plan once I begin employment?

Unfortunately no, you will not be able to switch between the three types of retirement plans once you begin employment. However, if you choose to participate in the ARP plan you may change between the four vendors (TIAA-CREF, AIG, Fidelity, and ING) at any time.

  What should I do if I have to see a doctor before receiving my medical and/or supplemental insurance cards?

Ideally all doctor appointments should be scheduled four to six weeks after your date of hire in order to allow time to receive your cards. If you must schedule an appointment prior to receiving your cards please contact Vicky Giunta in the Human Resources Office as far in advance of your appointment as possible. Vicky can be reached

by email

or 610-436-2346.

  When can I sign up for my benefits?

Benefits orientations for tenure-track faculty will be held on campus throughout the year. Please contact Vicky Giunta in the HR office at 610-436-2346 or

by email

for specific dates and to register.

Back to top of page.