Gwenelle O'Neal, MSW, DSW, LSW
Reynolds Hall, Room 202
- BA, Sociology and Spanish: Spelman College
- MSW: New York University
- DSW: Columbia University
Main areas of interest
- Community mental health services
- Multicultural resources
- Universal design to enhance student and consumer engagement and participation
My interest in social work stems from the NAACP in the seventh grade during the civil
rights movement. My community focus on democracy and economic development can be connected
to that experience. Social work just naturally seemed best for me to leave my mark.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2016, May). Using a trauma lens: Micro and macro systems. Moderator for panel discussion
at the Columbia University School of Social Work Annual Alumni Conference, New York,
- O'Neal, G.S. (2012, March). Culture and protective factors. Panel discussion at Center for Study
of Social Policy, Washington, DC.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2012, February). Building client confidence. Presentation at meeting of the National
Association of Social Workers-New Jersey Chapter, Lawrenceville, NJ.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2016, April). How incorporating multicultural resources in your syllabus affects
retention and global citizenship. Presentation at the meeting of the Pennsylvania
Chapter-National Association of Multicultural Education, West Chester, PA.
- O'Neal, G.S., & Schneller, B. (2013, November). How incorporating multicultural resources in your
syllabus affects retention and global citizenship. Presentation at the Pennsylvania
State System of Higher Eduation Inclusive Excellence Conference, Shippensburg, PA.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2011, June). Ethnographic interviewing. Presentation at Cultural Competence Training
Conference, Atlantic City, NJ.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2011, May). Integrating multicultural resources to build client confidence. Accepted
presentation at meeting of the National Association of Social Workers-New Jersey Chapter,
Atlantic City, NJ.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2013. February). Using perspective-taking in critical thinking: An active learning
process. Poster presented at the Lily South Teaching Conference, Greensboro, NC.
- O'Neal, G.S. (2012, November). Using GIS in a community practice course. Presentation at the Council
on Social Work Education Annual Program Meeting, Washington, DC.
Read more Faculty and Staff Profiles