My research focuses on the housing needs of older adults with low income. Additional
areas of interest include elder abuse and neglect, animal-assisted interventions,
and disenfranchised loss and grief.
- Lavery, A., Kattari, S., Hasche, L. & McQueen, J. (October, 2017). Using a Social Model of Disability
in Social Work and Gerontology Education. Panel presented at the annual conference
of the Council on Social Work Education, Dallas, TX.
- Lavery, A. (November, 2016). Liminality and Loss: Waiting for Affordable Housing. Paper presented
at the annual conference of the Council on Social Work Education in Atlanta, GA.
- Teixeira, S., Nicotera, N., Kao, D. & Lavery, A. (January, 2016). Using innovative mixed methods to map context in social work research.
Workshop presented at the annual conference of the Society for Social Work and Research,
- Lavery, A. (2015, November). A place with a patio: Using qualitative interviews and photos to
expand views of aging. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Gerontological Society of America,
- Hasche, L. & Lavery, A. (2015, January). Mental health correlates and service utilization among older adults
at risk for elder mistreatment. Electronic poster presented at the annual conference of the Society for Social Work
Research, New Orleans, LA.
- Solms, J., Lavery, A., & Shafer, A. (2013, December). Sexuality and late adulthood. Panel discussion at the Jewish Family Services Lunch and Learn Workshop. Denver, CO.
- Hasche, L. & Lavery, A. (2013, January). Structure and feasibility of care management across aging services. Paper presented at the annual conference of the Society for Social Work Research,
San Diego, CA.
- Kattari, S., Lavery, A. & Hasche, L. (2017). Applying a social model of disability
across the lifespan. Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, 1-16.
- Hasche, L.K. & Lavery A. (2015). "As needed" case management across aging services in response to depression. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 58(3), 272-288.
- Hasche, L.K., Lavery, A.L., DePrince, A.P., Srinivas, T., & Gagnon, K. Service utilization among older adults
at risk for elder mistreatment. Manuscript in progress.
My practice experience includes hospice social work, bereavement care, work with survivors
of crime and work as a substance abuse assessor for the Department of Corrections.
I have facilitated caregiver and grief support groups in senior center and hospice
settings. Prior to entering the PhD program at the University of Denver I was the
Assistant Director of the Wyoming Geriatric Education Center. In 2008 I was certified
in thanatology through the Association of Death Education and Counseling, and I became
a Fellow in Thanatology in 2015.
- Solms, J., Lavery, A. & Shafer, A. (December, 2013). Sexuality and late adulthood. Panel discussion at the Jewish Family Services Lunch and Learn Workshop. Denver, CO.
- Lavery, A. (February, 2010). Hold Your breath: Cultural competency and the American health care system. Campuswide presentation. University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
- Lavery, A. & Priest, R. (November, 2009) Self-Care for caregivers.Presentation at the Young at Heart Senior Center, for the Alzheimer’s Assocition.
Rock Springs, WY.
- Ecker, M. & Lavery, A. (September, 2009). Disability etiquette. Presentation at the National Association of Social Workers (Wyoming Chapter) Annual
Conference, Riverton, WY.
- Lavery, A. (August, 2009). Cultural competency and health care. Presentation at the 2009 Annual Medicare Patrol Training for Wyoming Senior Citizens,
Inc. Casper, WY.
- Fleming, D. & Lavery, A. (May, 2009). Aging etiquette. Presentation at the 2009 Conference on Aging, Cheyenne, WY.
- Grubbs, L. & Lavery, A. (May, 2009). Hold your breath: Cultural competency at end of life. Presentation at the 2009 Annual Wyoming Hospice Organization Conference, Sheridan,