Online Faculty Development
How to Obtain My Initial Training Credentials
CAPC requires faculty members to participate in an Office of Digital Learning and Innovation training program before obtaining their CAPC Training Credential and teaching a distance education course. This program is known as the Online Faculty Development program (OFD).
OFD is a completely asynchronous program that introduces faculty to best practices for online and blended learning. Faculty can expect to spend about 1-2 hours per day reviewing program content and completing assignments. OFD consists of the following modules:
- Identifying Roles in Digital Learning and Innovation at WCU
- Aligning Course Elements
- Creating Measurable Learning Objectives
- Assessing Your Students and Providing Meaningful Feedback
- Developing Meaningful Learning Activities
- Connecting With Your Students
- Making Learning Accessible for All Students
- Applying Copyright and Fair Use Standards
- Designing an Effective Course Module Page
Before participating in OFD, make sure you have basic knowledge of the following items within D2L:
- Discussion Board
To get up to speed on any of these items, reference D2L Services’ website for tutorials and information about D2L Subscription Training.
The Office of Digital Learning and Innovation runs OFD five times throughout the year. The dates for the two or three week online portion are as follows:
- Spring 2023: March 6 - March 24 (Capstone Deadline: September 24, 2023)
- Early Summer 2023: June 5 - June 16 (Capstone Deadline: December 18, 2023)
- Late Summer 2023: July 31 - August 11 (Capstone Deadline: February 12, 2024)
In addition to the online portion, faculty members interested in obtaining their CAPC Distance Education Training Credential must complete a Capstone project which consists of creating an online module. The Capstone project is due one month after the online portion concludes. Therefore, the entire OFD process takes at least 6-7 weeks. The date in which faculty members must submit their Capstone project and are eligible to receive their CAPC Distance Education Training Credential is notated in parentheses next to each offering date.
Sign up for any of these offerings using the OFD registration form. We look forward to working with you!