First Year Students
Summer Orientation for Incoming Students
Incoming freshmen are required to attend a two-part summer orientation program designed just for them. At orientation, you will:
- Meet other new students
- Learn about campus
- Learn about living in a residence hall or commuting
- Find resources so you can be successful at WCU
Part 1: One-day June Orientation
We offer eight one-day orientation sessions in June so you can register for a day that works with your schedule. Look for the link to register in your MyWCU account in mid to late April.
Part 2: August Orientation
August Orientation takes place move-in weekend: Friday, August 21 through Sunday, August 23. Students move in Friday according to the schedule they receive over the summer. Orientation programs begin Friday evening and continue Saturday and Sunday. Commuters are required to attend as well.
No registration is required for August orientation. You will follow a schedule designed for your residence hall or for commuters. Schedules are posted online in mid to late August and in each hall, Sykes Union, and Lawrence Dining Hall the weekend of orientation.
Remember, both the June and the August orientation programs are mandatory.
What to Expect at June Orientation
When you check in you will get a schedule for the day and be placed in a peer group that is typically related to your major and living assignment. You will have an in-depth campus tour, receive information about living on campus or commuting, and meet with an academic advisor to review your schedule. You will also learn about resources to help you be successful, network with other students, and learn how to get involved in your first year.
Example June Orientation Schedule
June Orientation FAQs
- Is Orientation Mandatory?
Yes, all first-year students are required to attend both Part 1 and Part 2. Orientation is important for your success at WCU.
- How do I register for Part 1 in June?
See the June Orientation Dates and Registration tab below.
- Why is there an Orientation Fee?
The $155 fee covers the cost of both the June and August programs. These costs include all staffing, materials, presenters, meals, social activities and student IDs. This fee does not appear on your University bill and is paid directly to New Student Programs. Payment plans are available. Contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 to inquire about a payment plan.
- How will I know which June Orientation I am attending?
We will e-mail your date to your WCU e-mail when your registration is complete. Your registration is not complete until we receive both your online form and the orientation fee.
Remember: check your WCU e-mail often and visit the IT Help Desk to link your WCU e-mail to your smartphone.
NOTE: If you have not received a confirmation e-mail within 48 hours of paying your orientation fee by credit card or within two weeks of paying by check or money order, contact us at 610-436-3305 to inquire about your registration.
- Can my parents/family attend the June Orientation day with me?
Yes! Parents and family are welcome to participate in the optional parent/family orientation program that day. Parents and family members attend a separate program while you attend the new student orientation. Parents and families do not attend Part 2 in August.
- How long will the Orientation day be? Do I have to stay the entire day?
The orientation day is 7:30am to 2:30pm. You must stay the entire day, so when selecting an orientation session be sure you are able to complete the whole day.
- Can I change my Orientation session?
Changes can be made only if space permits, so please choose your date carefully when registering. To request a change, call New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What if I miss the day I registered for?
If you miss your scheduled day, contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 as soon as possible to reschedule. If you are unable to attend a later session in June, you must make up the missed orientation at a late session held in August.
- Does WCU offer overnight housing the day before our orientation program, or are there hotel accommodations in the area?
University Student Housing (USH) offers overnight orientation accommodations in one of their affiliated residence halls. To make your reservation, visit the University Student Housing website or email USH at email@example.com. A list of area hotels can be found by clicking the Visitors tab on the University’s home page.
- Where do I park for Orientation?
See the Parking icon on the New Student Programs homepage for parking directions. Do not park on the street or in other University lots unless directed to do so by the Orientation staff as you will be ticketed. Street parking is controlled by the Borough of West Chester and is strictly enforced. View our Campus Map.
- Where does June Orientation take place?
Check in is in the lobby of Asplundh Concert Hall in Philips Memorial Building on the corner of South High Street and University Avenue (700 South High Street). View our Campus Map.
- I have been accepted to the Honors College. When do I attend Orientation?
Please check back for the 2015 Honors College date.
- What do I do if I or a family member need special accommodations?
Contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 as soon as possible to inform us of any special needs and to allow us time to make any necessary arrangements. Arrangements should be made at least two weeks prior to your scheduled orientation date.
- What if I have additional questions?
Contact us at 610-436-3305 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June Orientation Dates and Registration
June 2015 Orientation dates are:
- Session 1: June 11
- Session 2: June 12
- Session 3: June 17
- Session 4: June 18
- Session 5: June 19
- Session 6: June 24
- Session 7: June 25
- Session 8: June 26
Special Registration Notes
- Students entering the Honors College must attend a designated orientation session. The specific date will be posted as soon as it is available.
- Athletic Training Majors should not register for Orientation sessions 6, 7, or 8 on June 24, 25 and 26 at the request of their department.
- Incoming Student Athletes should register for specific orientation sessions based on the information they will receive from the Department of Athletics.
Orientation sessions fill up quickly. Please select your June date carefully as requests to change sessions will only be accommodated if space permits.
How to Register
Orientation registration opens in mid-April and closes in early June. Once registration opens, to register for a June date:
- Log into your MyWCU account, click on the Schedule an Orientation Session link and complete the registration form.
- Pay the $155 orientation fee by credit card using the online payment option, or follow the instructions for paying by mail with a check or money order. This fee will not appear on your University bill.
- Once your form is complete and your fee is paid you will receive an e-mail with your assigned date in your WCU e-mail. Your registration is not complete and your space has not been reserved until your fee is paid and you receive this confirmation.
- If you have not received an email confirming your registration within 48 hours of making an online payment or within two weeks of mailing a check or money order, call 610-436-3305 to inquire about your registration.
The deadline for online registrations is Friday, June 5, 2015.
What to Expect at August Orientation
On Friday evening we will have educational programs, a picnic with University leadership, including the President, and social activities to help you meet other first-year students. Saturday and Sunday are filled with important information about academics, student life, and transitioning to college.
August Orientation FAQs
- What time does August orientation start and end?
August orientation starts Friday evening of move-in weekend. Programs are scheduled throughout the day on Saturday and on Sunday until the afternoon.
- Am I required to attend August orientation?
Yes, attendance at August orientation programs is mandatory. Attendance is taken at all sessions.
- Can my parents attend August orientation with me?
No, August orientation is only for new first-year students.
- I'm a commuter student. Do I have to attend August orientation?
Yes, you will have a separate schedule that will outline what you have to attend for the August program.
- What if I miss August Orientation?
If you cannot attend the August program due to extenuating circumstances, you must contact the Office of New Student Programs at 610-436-3305 to make arrangements to meet with the Director of New Student Programs. Only the Director can authorize an excused absence.
- When will I get my student ID?
Resident students will receive their ID at move-in. Commuter students will receive their ID at a special program for commuters on Friday of move-in weekend.
- When Is January Orientation?
- January Orientation is Friday, January 9, 2015.
- Check-in will be held from 8:45am to 9:25am in the lobby of Sykes Student Union, 110 W. Rosedale Avenue. Light refreshments will be served.
- The program runs from 9:30am to 1:30pm, with optional programs from 1:30 to 2:00pm.
- University offices are open until 4:30pm so you can handle other University business after Orientation.
- The snow date for Orientation is Friday, January 16th.
- Information about inclement weather changes will be placed on our website and on our voicemail at 610-436-3305.
- What Can I Expect at Orientation?
- We will provide you with information about academics and student life, answer your questions, help you become familiar with WCU, and introduce you to other new students through small group discussions and activities.
- You will receive your WCU student ID (Ram e-Card).
- How Do I Register and Pay for Orientation?
- To register for January orientation, log onto your MyWCU account and choose the Schedule Your Orientation Session link located in the Alerts section. Instructions for setting up your MyWCU account were included in your Admissions acceptance packet.
- Read and follow the online instructions to complete the form and pay the $68.00 orientation fee.
- You will be able to pay online with a credit card or you may pay by check or money order.
- If you need a payment plan for the Orientation fee, please contact New Student Programs at 610-436-3305.
- Why Is There an Orientation Fee?
- The orientation fee covers all costs associated with the Orientation program including materials and staffing as well as students' meals and ID cards.
- Orientation registrations are not complete until the Orientation fee has been received.
- When Does Registration Begin and What is the Registration Deadline?
- Online orientation registration will begin on November 1, 2014. Your online registration form and orientation fee should be received no later than Tuesday, January 6, 2015.
- Does January Orientation Include Academic Advising and Scheduling?
- January Orientation DOES NOT include academic advising or scheduling.
- To schedule, contact your major department as soon as possible to make an appointment and finalize your course schedule (undeclared students must schedule an appointment with Pre-Major advising). A list of departments and phone numbers was included in your Admissions acceptance packet.
- Please note that University offices will be closed from Thursday, December 25, 2014, through Thursday, January 1, 2015, with some offices having limited staff and/or hours on Wednesday, December 31.
- Can Parents, Family Members or Other Guests Attend Orientation?
- Yes, a special program for parents, family members and guests is scheduled during January Orientation.
- There is no charge for this program, although lunch is not provided.
- Parents, family members and guests can purchase a lunch ticket at check-in. Lunch tickets will be $8.00 per person. Students' lunches are included in their orientation fee.
- To assist us in planning, please complete the parent section of the online registration form. In addition, please complete a Parent/Guardian Information Sheet.
- Where Do I Park?
- Please park in any student space behind Sykes Student Union.
- Do not park in faculty/staff spaces as you may be ticketed.
- Alternate parking can be found in M lot near the Swope Music Building.
- Street parking is controlled by the Borough of West Chester and is strictly enforced.
- Some metered parking is available on Rosedale Avenue. Meters have a 3-hour time limit.
- Click on the parking icon on the New Student Programs home page for a campus map and driving directions.
Student Success Opportunities and Helpful Links