It is the hope of the RLHS Staff that you will be able to personalize your room and/or
apartment/suite and make it a "home away from home" during your stay on campus. However,
to protect the condition of your surroundings from damage and in consideration of
future residents, the following guidelines are in effect:
- Residents of all housing facilities should use non-permanent, non-staining adhesive
materials to hang decorations where wall moldings do not exist.
- Under no circumstances should holes be drilled or placed in any walls or ceilings.
No heavy-duty adhesives such as duct tape should be used in any housing facility.
- No decorations should be hung or suspended from ceilings, fire alarm, sprinkler system
or electrical systems.
- Use of inappropriate adhesives or the non-removal of appropriate materials will result
in damage charges being assessed to all responsible residents.
- Room doors should not be wrapped. The room number and at least half of the door must
be showing. Items placed on the outside of room doors must meet acceptable community
standards (See Advertising Policy for more details)
- Waterbeds, portable Jacuzzis and any other large water holding containers are prohibited
in any housing facility for any purpose.
- Cinderblocks, bricks or similar materials should not be used in housing facilities,
including to raise beds, desks or other pieces of university furniture.
- Municipal, state, street signs, neon signs, etc. are prohibited in the halls.
Holiday Decorating Guidelines
In order to minimize the potential fire hazards associated with some holiday seasons,
the following decoration guidelines should be followed for the protection of those
students living in the residence halls and apartments.
- Students are allowed to have artificial trees in their rooms and apartments. Strings
of electric miniature lights are permitted on trees unless the tree is metallic (aluminum).
Live or cut trees are strictly prohibited.
- All electrical decorations should bear the UL label and should only be used as rated
for either indoor or outdoor use. All Cords and lighting strings should be checked
for fraying, bare wires, loose connections and cracked plugs. These may be displayed
within a student room only, not on the hallway side of a room door or the outside
of an apartment/suite.
- Students should use only the Fire Shield power strip provided by the University in
their room. Additional Fire Shield units may be purchased in the S.S.I. Bookstore
in sykes Union if needed.
- Candles or any other source of open flame are prohibited for any decoration or ceremonies.