View Text Only Version

Guide to Residential Living

Lockout Policy

Contact Guide to Residential Living  

Guide to Residential Living

202 Lawrence Center
West Chester, PA 19382

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday 8:00am-4:00pm

Phone: 610-436-3307 or 610-436-3306
RESNET (in room computer access): 610-436-2660 or

When contacting us, please provide the following information:

  • Student's Name
  • WCU ID
  • Return phone # and/or email address
  • Hall/Room Assignment
  • Brief synopsis of question or concern

Having this information can allow us to attempt to answer your question expeditiously.

About Us & Staff

Lockout Policy

It is important for you to carry your key with you at ALL times.

If you are Locked out of your Room or Apartment/Suite, Please do the Following:

  • Attempt to find your roommate.
  • If you are unsuccessful, go to the Front Desk or Clubhouse Desk of your building/complex.
  • Check out a Temporary Key to your room/apartment/suite.
  • Return the key immediately within 24 hours after you have let yourself into your room. Failure to return the key will result in your being billed $30.00 for a core change and keys to your room, $45.00 for a core change and keys for your apartment (university housing) and $50.00 for a core change and keys for any lock in Affiliated Housing (University, Allegheny and Brandywine Halls, and The Village). In addition to a core change/s and billing, a formal documentation through the University Judicial Process may be filed.
  • If you are locked out when the Front Desk in a Residence Hall is closed, let the Security Guard at the Front Desk know you are locked out. The Security Guard will contact the RA on duty to let you into your room.
  • If you are locked out when the Clubhouse Desk at South Campus is closed, apartment residents should contact the RA on duty using the mobile phone number.

Excessive use (after 3 times per semester) of the Temporary Key program will result in the immediate termination of this privilege.

Under no circumstances should your room or apartment/suite be left unlocked. Leaving your room or apartment/suite unlocked endangers the safety of you, your roommate(s) and your possessions.

NOTE: This process is not intended to substitute for a lost key. If you lose your key, you are responsible for following the steps outlined below.

  1. Replacement of bedroom keys in traditional residence halls or SCAC costs $30.00. Replacement of apartment door keys in SCAC costs $45.00. Replacement of mailbox keys in SCAC costs $5.00. Lost keys to bedrooms/suites in University, Allegheny, or Brandywine Halls, or the Village cost $100.00. These fees cover the cost of a lock change and replacement keys.
  2. Payments for lost keys for University Housing are made at the Bursar's Office at 25 University Avenue. Bring the receipt to your Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director who will make the necessary arrangements with the locksmiths.
  3. Payments for lost keys for Affiliated Housing are made at the Front Desks of Allegheny, Brandywine and University Halls or the Clubhouse Desk for the Village.
  4. It will take approximately one week for your lock to be changed and your new key(s) to be issued. You can pick up your new keys at the Front Desk of your building/area.
Back to top of page.