Sykes Student Union is a building with unrestricted public access. The Student Union
is intended to be used for authorized campus activities by students, faculty, staff
and guests. Loitering is prohibited and violators will be required to leave the building.
- Approval for posting is obtained through the building's administration office located
at the Information Desk. No more than three postings are permitted, and the Sykes
Student Union staff will be responsible for posting all approved flyers. They will
remain hung for two weeks.
- All postings must be in accordance with the University's Civility Statement. All advertisements
must respect the human rights and personal dignity of individuals. Advertisements
that demean others on the basis of race, lifestyle, religion, disability, national
origin, sexual orientation or gender are strictly prohibited. Advertisements by organizations
should be complementary to the mission of the University and adhere to community standards
of civility and good taste.
- Advertisements depicting drug or alcohol use, abuse, sale or distribution is prohibited.
- All unauthorized postings or those not following the guidelines will be removed.
- Members of the West Chester University community may hang banners on the front railings
of the building and inside from the second floor stairwell.
- Banners may be no larger than 4' x 15' and must be approved by the Sykes Student Union
Administration - Room 116.
- Banners will only be hung for two weeks and must be removed by the sponsoring group.
Banners removed, after two weeks, by Sykes Student Union staff will be discarded.
- Student Organization Mailboxes
- A limited number of mail slots are located within the student organizations complex
located on the second floor and will be assigned based on availability. Contact the
Sykes Information Desk for details.
- Service animals and guide dogs are allowed. Other animals are not permitted in Sykes
Student Union without permission from Sykes Student Union Administration and Environmental
Health and Safety.
- Smoking or carrying a lighted pipe, cigar, cigarette or any other type of smoking
paraphernalia or material is prohibited in all university buildings. Smoking is only
permitted in approved designated smoking areas on campus.
- Bicycles/In Line Skates/Skateboards and Electronic Skateboards
- These devices are not permitted in the Student Union or on the steps, ramp or patio.
Racks for securing bikes are located outside of each building entrance. It is prohibited
for anyone to use, ride, propel or otherwise operate a skateboard on the public sidewalks
and parking lots of West Chester University. Bicycles and skates are permitted on
University property for the sole purpose of transportation. Electronic skateboards,
including self-balancing boards/scooters, and any other similar equipment, are prohibited
from being possessed, used/ridden, stored or charged in any University owned, operated
or leased property, due to their potential fire and fall injury hazards. These devices
are prohibited in residence halls, apartments, University Student Housing properties,
classrooms, dining areas, laboratories, meeting rooms and all other campus facilities,
campus grounds, and other off campus properties controlled by the University.
- Due to health regulations both shirts and shoes are required to be worn while in Sykes
- The use of any kind of open flame, which includes candles, lighters, fireworks and
matches is prohibited.. Certain functions in the Ballrooms, may use candles with permission
from Sykes Student Union Administration and Environmental Health and Safety.
- Chalking of sidewalks or any other surface is prohibited.
- Decorations and the removal of decorations must occur during the reserved time of
the event by the organization holding the event. Glitter is not permitted due to the
fact that it is very hard to clean. Duct tape and clear packing tape cannot be used
on any surface. Blue painters tape and black gaffers tape (available at the Sykes
Information Desk) is permitted. Tacks, nails and staples are not permitted.
- This policy pertains to student groups and external paying vendors. Solicitation is
considered any activity in which an action is requested of another individual for
any purpose. Sales, petitions, surveys and distribution of printed or free materials
are considered solicitation under this policy. Solicitation is only permitted at your reseved lobby table. The vendor must remain within their reserved area and may not approach facility
patrons or call out to patrons walking by. People will approach your table if they
are interested. Detailed information for vendor contracts, policies and fees can be
found at Vendor Information and Guidlines.
- Amplified Sound/Music
- Amplified sound is defined as any sound that is broadcasted through electronically
amplified equipment or sound that is electronically enhanced. The use of amplified
sound may not interfere with instructional activity or the administrative operation
of the University. The use of amplified sound will not be permitted if such use would
disrupt a previously scheduled event or function.