How do I apply for Financial Aid?
Starting October 1, ALL STUDENTS who are interested in being reviewed for federal and state aid for Fall 2017 are required to file the FAFSA by the February 15th priority deadline--Federal Code 003328.
Tips for Applying
Don't wait to be accepted by West Chester University to submit the FAFSA. You can start October 1.
- Use your FSA ID to sign your FAFSA.
If possible, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, when completing the FAFSA.
- You must meet the eligibility requirements to be offered Federal and State financial aid.
- PA Residents: the school listed first will be used to determine your PA State Grant (PHEAA). The deadline to apply for a PHEAA grant is May 1.
More information about the general process.
Has your FAFSA been selected for Verification?
- Verification is a process for confirming the accuracy of the information students and parents provide on the FAFSA.
- The U.S. Department of Education selects students for Verification.
- West Chester University may also select students for verification.
- Applicants should submit forms, information, and documentation in a complete and prompt fashion.
- Financial Aid cannot be disbursed/paid until the Verification is complete.
- To protect sensitive taxpayer data, the IRS and FSA announced that the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on fafsa.gov and StudentLoans.gov will not be available for the 2017-2018 FAFSA. If you are selected for verification, please order your tax return transcripts at: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript.
Do you need an IRS Tax Return Transcript? There's a website and an app for iPhone and Android.
What should I do if I have a Federal Direct and Nursing Student Loan?
If you have a Federal Student Loan in your aid package you MUST take ACTION on your student loan. ACCEPT, ADJUST, DECLINE your loan by logging into myWCU.
1st time Federal Direct Student Loan recipients: Complete an Entrance Counseling Session and Sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) at studentloans.gov.
- 1st time Federal Nursing Student Loan recipients: Contact the aid office to schedule an In-person Counseling session. Bring your completed Nursing Loan materials with you.
Do you need to apply for a Parent Loan for an Undergraduate Student-PLUS?
- As a parent, you can apply for a loan, up to the Cost of Attendance, to help pay for your student's educational expenses.
- This is a credit worthy loan. If the loan is not approved, the student may request additional Unsubsidized Direct Loan funding.
Did you ACTIVATE YOUR BURSAR'S ACCOUNT?
- If your anticipated aid exceeds the charges on your account summary/bill, ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT.
- Contact the Bursar's office regarding your bill, book vouchers and refund checks.
The Office of Financial Aid is Going Green
. View your financial aid and alerts via myWCU.
Check your WCU email too.