West Chester University invites applications for our 2019 Summer Undergraduate Research
Institute (SURI). Proposals are due February 1, 2019.
The purpose of SURI is to:
- Increase the interest in and opportunities for undergraduate research in all disciplines
by providing a focused research opportunity for students.
- Promote collaboration among students and between students and faculty for scholarly
research.- Establish a community of undergraduate scholars, where the students develop
basic skills in all aspects for conducting research including project development,
research compliance (when appropriate), and dissemination.
- Promote critical and analytical thinking skills and prepare undergraduate students
for graduate-level studies and/or careers.
Selected applicants will receive a stipend to work full-time (40 hours/week) over
five weeks during summer 2019 (May 27 through June 28) to participate in:
- Research and creative activity under the direct supervision of a faculty member.
- Field trips to relevant regional industry and private institutions related to their
research and creative activity.
- An invited speaker series.
- A SURI closing event during which they will present their work (poster, presentation,
There are TWO STEPS to the application process. Both parts of the application are due on February 1, 2019.
STEP 1: Go to the SURI Request for Proposals link (provided below) to learn more
about SURI eligibility and funding, review the selection criteria, and fill out the
Call for Proposals for the Summer Undergraduate Research Institute 2019
STEP 2: The research or creative activity mentor must fill out the Faculty Mentor
Evaluation form (attached) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Faculty Mentor Evaluation forms will only be accepted if e-mailed from a research
or creative activity mentor’s address.
More information about the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs