Online Writing Consultations
We provide online consultations for writers who are unable to come in person to the writing center. These synchronous sessions occur within our scheduling program, WC Online and are available during regular writing center hours. Please note: These writing consultations are available in 60-minute blocks only. Online sessions are designed to give writers the greatest possible benefit by following the purpose and model of the writing center's traditional live sessions. To schedule an online writing session:
- Access the writing center's webpage at www.wcupa.edu/writingcenter. Click on "follow this link to make an appointment." To increase the odds that a tutor will be available at the time you request, schedule your session as far in advance as possible--but at least a half hour in advance of your requested time.
- If you already have a writing center account, sign in and proceed to step four.
- If you do not already have a writing center account, make one using your WCU email and a password of your choice. This password will not change, even when you update your standard WCU password. Press "enter." You will receive an email to your WCU account confirming your newly-created account.
- After signing in, choose a date and time for your appointment. White spaces signify open appointment times. Please remember that all online appointments must be an hour long, which takes up two blocks.
- The third question asks, "Meet Online?" Click the drop down menu and choose "Yes." Then complete the remainder of the form.
- You will receive an email to your WCU account confirming your newly-scheduled session.
- A few minutes before your appointment is set to begin, log back into your WC Online account and click on your appointment. It will appear green on the schedule. Then, click 'Start or Join Online Consultation" and wait for your tutor to join as well.
- Please have headphones with a microphone available so your tutor can see and hear you. Most computers have speakers built in but please make sure they are on and the volume is turned up. Headphones help avoid echoing during the session.
- If you have a paper you want your tutor to see, click the upload button in the top right-hand corner. You can also copy and paste text into the online program.
If you experience any difficulty at all, make sure to tell your tutor. Feel free to call the writing center at 610-430-5664. We look foward to working with you!
You MUST use Google Chrome for online tutorials. If you don't have Chrome, you can download it here.
You MUST have a microphone and speakers so your tutor can hear you. We cannot continue the online session without these.
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Writing Consultations