Weather Alert Notification
When adverse weather conditions affect the routine operation of the University, information regarding class cancellations, delayed openings, and/or University closings will be publicized via multifaceted communication media including the following:
- Text messages to WCU Alert subscribers. WCU has contracted with e2campus to provide the service WCU ALERT, which sends subscribers direct text messages of WCU announcements, including class cancellations, delayed openings, University closings, on-campus emergencies, and the occasional test message. WCU ALERT provides the most effective way to communicate safety to all students, faculty, and staff, wherever they are. WCU ALERT is completely free to sign up, but phone carriers may charge for receiving text messages. WCU ALERT will not deliver any kind of advertising content, and phone numbers will not be shared with any third parties. Click here for more information and to sign up http://www.wcupa.edu/wcualert/.
West Chester University offers a text messaging subscription service through e2campus, a state-of-the-art communication system, to instantly alert students, faculty, and staff of campus emergencies, including weather-related events. Subscribers will receive text messages on any device that accepts text messaging (SMS) through cellular service, such as cell phones, text pagers, BlackBerrys, and some wireless PDAs. In addition, there is an option to have messages sent to a personal e-mail address.
- Mass e-mails to students, faculty, and staff. Because WCU-assigned e-mail accounts for employees and students will be used as one of the primary layers of communication for weather-related as well as emergency alerts, all employees and students are required to activate and maintain regular access to their University-provided e-mail accounts.
- Posted on WCU’s homepage at http://www.wcupa.edu. The most up-to-date and specific information, including weather developments, event cancellations and postponements, or changes to the final exam schedule, will be posted on the WCU homepage.
- Recorded message on WCU’s Information Line, 610-436-1000. However, the WCU homepage will always carry the most updated information as the weather event unfolds or as information is posted regarding cancellation/postponement of events.
- Broadcast on many radio and TV stations. Some radio and TV stations use a system of code numbers rather than school names for cancellations and announcements. West Chester University's code numbers are 853 for cancellation of day classes and 2853 for evening classes. Click here for specifics on radio and TV station listings http://www.wcupa.edu/dps/emergency/WeatherEmergency.asp. However, because radio and TV stations are generally not able to provide specific information, the most accurate and detailed announcements will be maintained on WCU's homepage at http://www.wcupa.edu.