Office of the Bursar

Finance and Business Services

Student Financial Services
25 University Ave., Room #50
West Chester, PA 19383
Phone: 610 436-2552
Fax: 610 436-3049

Perkins / Nursing Loans

The Perkins / Nursing Loan Office handles all aspects of your loan once you begin the repayment process. You should contact this office once you fall below half-time at an institution of higher learning. For more information see the Frequently Asked Questions below or call 610-436-2554.

25 University Avenue, Room #62
West Chester, PA 19383
Phone: 610-436-2554
Fax: 610-436-3049

Perkins / Nursing Loan Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ’s

What is a Federal Perkins Loan?

A Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest (5 percent) loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need. Your school is your lender. The loan is made with government funds with a share contributed by the school. You must repay this loan to your school.

{Back to top}

What website do I use to complete my Perkins Loan Exit Interview?

The website is Please fill out the form completely and sign it electronically.

{Back to top}

Is there a charge for this loan?

A Perkins Loan borrower is not charged any fees. However, if you skip a payment, make a payment late, or make less than a full payment, you may have to pay a late charge plus any collection costs. Late charges will continue until your payments are current.

{Back to top}

When do I pay back this loan?

You have nine months after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time status before you must begin repayment. This is called a grace period. At the end of your grace period, you must begin repaying your loan. You may be allowed up to 10 years to repay your loan.

{Back to top}

Who will be billing me for my Perkins Loan?

The school can bill you directly or use a billing company. If you received your loan at West Chester University, we use a billing company. The company we use is Campus Partners located in Winston-Salem, NC. Their telephone number is 1-800-334-8609. You can send your payment directly to West Chester University. If you decide to mail the payment to the school, please place your social security number and the word Perkins in the memo area of the check.

{Back to top}

How much will I have to repay each month?

Your monthly payment amount will depend on the size of your debt and the length of your repayment period.

{Back to top}

Which office issues the certification of enrollment letter?

You get the letter from the Registrar’s Office at the school you are currently attending. If you returned to West Chester University, the room number is 30 in the Kershner Building (Ground Floor) located at 25 University Ave.

{Back to top}

If you are eligible for funds under the Perkins or Nursing Programs, which office handles disbursement of the loan?

The Financial Aid Office handles the disbursement of the funds to the borrower. You have to make an appointment with their office for your entrance interview at which time you will sign the promissory note for the loan amount you were awarded. If you returned to West Chester University, the room is #30 in the Kershner Building (Ground Floor) located at

{Back to top}

Which office handles the Perkins or Nursing Loan Programs once I have graduated from school or stopped attending school for any other reason?

If you attended West Chester University, we have a Perkins and Nursing repayment office in the Kershner Building, Room #62 located at 25 University Avenue.

{Back to top}

Can I postpone repayment of my Federal Perkins Loan?

Yes. Under certain circumstances, you can receive a deferment or forbearance on your loan. During a deferment, you are allowed to temporarily postpone payments on you loan, and no interest accrues. You may receive a deferment under certain conditions, such as unemployment.

Deferments are not automatic. You must apply for one through your school by using a deferment request form your school can give you. You must file your deferment request on time or you’ll pay a late charge.

For more details on deferments, contact your Perkins Loan repayment office.

If you are temporarily unable to meet your repayment schedule but are not eligible for a deferment, you can receive forbearance for a limited and specific period. During forbearance, your payments are postponed or reduced. Interest continues to accrue; you are responsible for it.

Forbearance isn’t automatic either.

You may be granted forbearance in 6 to 12 month intervals for up to three years. You must apply in writing for forbearance through the school that made your loan or the agency the school employs to service your loan. You’ll have to provide documentation to support your request for forbearance. You must continue making scheduled payments until you are notified that deferment or forbearance has been granted.

{Back to top}

If I have a change of status, whom should I contact?

You should contact the office at the school who handles the repayment of your Perkins Loan with any changes in name, address, telephone number, Social Security number, or driver’s license number. If you received your loan from West Chester University, call (610) 436-2554.

{Back to top}

Can my Federal Perkins Loan be cancelled?

Yes. If the borrower dies or becomes totally and permanently disabled, the loan can be cancelled. A loan can also qualify for cancellation under certain other conditions - as long as the borrower is not in default. For more information, contact you Perkins Loan repayment office at (610) 436-2554.

{Back to top}

Is the loan reported to a Credit Bureau?

Yes. The information is reported to a national credit bureau after the initial disbursement of funds.

{Back to top}

Is the school where I am currently teaching considered a “designated low-income school”?

To find this answer, go to the U. S. Department of Education Web sites at or and follow the links to search for the name of your school in the Federal Perkins Loan Program “Low Income School Directory”.

{Back to top}

Why isn’t the school where I am teaching considered a “designated low-income school”?

Contact your State Department of Education for this information. The low-income designation is based on statistics gathered about the population of each elementary and secondary school in the state.

If you serve as an enlisted person in certain specialties of the U. S. Army, the Army Reserves, the Army National Guard, or the Air National Guard, the U.S. Department of Defense may, as an enlistment incentive, repay a portion of your Federal Perkins Loan. Please note that this is not a cancellation of the loan. If you think you qualify, contact your recruiting officer.

If you have any questions about the terms of your Federal Perkins Loan, repayment obligations, deferment, forbearance, or cancellation, check with the school that made the loan. Only that school may grant deferment, forbearance, or cancellation, or make other decisions concerning you loan. If you received your loan from West Chester University, the number to call is (610) 436-2554.

{Back to top}