Commercial Advertising and Commercial Sales Policy

The University is interested in regulating commercial activity on its campus in order to promote an educational rather than a commercial atmosphere, to promote fire safety, to maintain its buildings and grounds, to provide security for its students and employees, to prevent commercial exploitation of students and employees, and to preserve residential tranquility. As a result, the University has established the following policies.

Commercial Advertising

Advertising through the use of signs and posters may be located on official University bulletin boards only and must be approved by the designated building administrator. The Building Administrator or Residence Hall Administrator would base approval on community standards of taste, as well as fire safety standards and a concern for program disruption. Advertising depicting alcohol use, abuse, sale, or distribution is prohibited.

No signs or posters are permitted to be displayed on the University grounds including, but not limited to trees, windows, doors, stairwells, restrooms, trash receptacles, benches nor placed on vehicles in University parking lots. Advertising signs and posters are, however, permitted on public kiosks and bulletin boards in the bus stop shelters. University community members wishing to sell personal items such as books, stereos, etc. may advertise on appropriate bulletin boards designated for this purpose by the particular building administrator.

There are separate policies governing on-campus advertising by West Chester University student clubs and organizations which can be found in the student handbook - Ram's Eye View.

Unauthorized signs or posters will be immediately removed and legal action will be taken if necessary to prevent repeat offenses.

Civil and/or campus action may be taken against any persons or external organizations who violate the University's Commercial Advertising and Commercial Sales Policy.

To obtain approval

Academic/Administration buildings - approval for posting advertisements (signs/posters) is obtained through the building administrator for each respective building. A list of building administrators is available through the Office of Facilities Management (436-3200), or in the Ram's Eye View Student Handbook.

Residence Halls - approval for posting advertisements (signs/posters) is obtained through the Office of Residence Life and Housing (436-3307).

Commercial Sales

Selling on university property, in other than the Sykes Student Union Building, the residence halls, and the university-owned apartment complexes, is not permitted except in certain limited circumstances with authorization. Authorization may be obtained only through the Vice President for Administrative and Fiscal Affairs or designee. Authorization will be based on University needs for the items being sold, convenience of the University community, prevention of exploitation of students and protection of rights of those granted exclusive arrangements. There are separate policies governing sales and solicitation in the Sykes Student Union, the residence halls, and the university-owned apartment complexes that can be found in the handbook - Ram's Eye View.

Distribution of Literature on Campus

The distribution of literature is prohibited in classroom and library buildings. The University reserves the right to impose reasonable time, place and manner restrictions upon the distribution of literature of a commercial or noncommercial nature on its campus. Literature may not be distributed in an offensive or disorderly fashion which disrupts University programs or operations. People distributing literature must not block doors, stairways or other entryways or otherwise limit or impinge upon the ingress, egress and regress of the campus community. If excessive littering results from the distribution of literature, the University may require the cessation of such distribution and may make a reasonable charge for pick-up expenses incurred.

Fund Raising Events

Fund raising events conducted by officially recognized University organizations may take place with the written approval of the Dean of Students, the Director of Residence Life, or the Director of Sykes Student Union. Fund raising events may not include the sale or advertisement of products which would compete with products covered by University exclusive agreements. (For example, beverage products that would compete with the Pepsi-Cola line of beverages.)

Definition of University Property

Includes all real estate owned or controlled by the University starting from the curb's edge inward. Also includes sidewalks and building entrances. Public streets are controlled by the respective municipalities through their ordinances. University Avenue from the intersection of Church Street traveling west is not a public street and is considered University property.

Back to top of page.