Accounts Payable

201 Carter Drive, Suite 200
West Chester, PA 19383

Get More Information

Fiscal Year End Important Information

Reimbursement Guidelines


The most economical means of travel available should be used given the purpose and constraints of the travel.

Personal Automobile Use:

Actual mileage incurred by an employee on official business will be reimbursed at the established rates (see Current Maximum Reimbursement Rates).
An employee traveling as a passenger in a personal automobile is not entitled to mileage reimbursement.
The established mileage rate is the only reimbursement that the employee will receive for use of a personal automobile on official travel, except for parking and tolls. This rate includes depreciation, fuel, insurance, fees, licenses, oil, repairs, tires, and all accessories.

Employees may be reimbursed for parking, tolls, and similar expenses, regardless of the type of vehicle used (i.e., personal, rented, or university).

Commercial Carrier Credits:

It is prohibited to use West Chester University-earned carrier credits for personal travel, regardless of the initial travel funding source.
Employees may use West Chester University-earned carrier credits for other official business travel.
Employees must take adequate precautions to segregate credits obtained from university travel from credits obtained from personal travel.
An employee may not be compensated or reimbursed for using personally obtained credits on official university travel.


Lodging costs are limited to the established rates (see Current Maximum Reimbursement Rates and High-Cost Area Subsistence Rates).
Employee reimbursements are limited to the actual cost of lodging or the established reimbursement rates whichever is higher.
Requests for lodging reimbursement must be supported with receipts.
Employees are not reimbursed for personal charges, for example, the incremental cost of lodging family members or friends, movies, personal phone calls, recreational charges, etc.
Employees must identify themselves as West Chester University employees and request state or governmental rates when obtaining price quotations for lodging.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, including the State System, is exempt from state and local sales and use tax, public transportation assistance taxes and fees, vehicle rental tax, hotel occupancy and sales taxes imposed by local or county governments, and most excise taxes imposed by the Internal Revenue Service. These taxes sometimes are charged to universities or to State System employees traveling on official State System business. Click the link for additional information regarding State System Tax Procedures for University Operations.

Additional information on the applicability of local hotel occupancy tax to Commonwealth employees and travelers.

Lodging costs in excess of the maximum are permitted according to the following conditions:

When lodging cannot be located with a reasonable effort within the maximums.
When employees must stay in a specific hotel or motel where their presence is required by the nature of the official business.
When employees reside at a host establishment while attending a conference or convention on official business.
Claims for lodging and meal expenses will be allowed under the American Plan (i.e., when the cost of lodging and meals is contracted as a package) when contracted for at the minimum rate, and when incurred by employees residing at a host establishment while attending a conference or convention on official business.
A complete explanation of lodging costs in excess of the maximum must be included with the travel expense voucher.

Subsistence Rates:

The subsistence rate covers meals, tips, tax, and all other expenses not specifically addressed in this document.

Overnight travel Status:

Employees in overnight travel status may be paid for the actual cost of meals and other subsistence expenses, up to maximum rates listed in the Current Maximum Reimbursement Rates and the High-cost Area Subsistence Rates.
The travel period begins at any time of day or night that the employee leaves headquarters or residence to embark upon overnight travel on official business.
For overnight travel not part of a full 24-hour period, the subsistence rate is prorated (rounded to the nearest dollar) as follows:
Less than 3 hours No Reimbursement
3 hours to less than 6 hours 25%
6 hours to less than 15 hours 62.5%
15 hours to less than 24 hours 100%

The reimbursement amount is reduced for meals provided to the employee for no additional cost, for example, when included in a registration fee, facility rental, or the cost of lodging. These reduction rates are 21 percent for breakfast; 21 percent for lunch; and 58 percent for dinner.

Non-overnight travel status:

An employee working more than two hours before the normal start time or past the scheduled quitting time in non-overnight travel status is reimbursed for the cost of a meal, up to the maximum rate, if the travel assignment takes the employee 50 miles or more from both residence and headquarters.
To receive this reimbursement the Travel Expense Voucher must include the employee's normal working hours.
Reimbursement for the cost of noonday meals is not permissible for employees not engaged in overnight travel except as specifically provided for in the section Expenditures Incurred While Not Traveling of this document or in labor agreements.
There is additional information regarding reimbursements for meals to employees who are not in overnight travel status at the following link: State System Tax Procedures for University Operations.

Miscellaneous Travel Expenses:

Charges for laundry, dry cleaning, or other personal services are not reimbursable unless the employee is in continuous travel status for more than five days
Itemized receipts are required for any single miscellaneous expense reimbursement request for amounts in excess of $35.00.

Expenditures Incurred While Not Traveling: See Use of Public Funds Policy

Updated: January 2016