There are numerous community-based groups who are interested in aspects of the Environmental Council's mission. Below you will find more information on a number of these.
- An ad-hoc committee formed by the West Chester Borough Council in winter 2006; BLUER's mission is to help our entire community - including our municipal and County government operations, residents, businesses, and nonprofits - reduce greenhouse gas pollution 10% below 2005 levels by the year 2015. This will help us break the trend toward rising greenhouse emissions and put West Chester on a track toward further greenhouse gas reductions, and toward a more sustainable economic and environmental future.
Chester Country Commissioners
- A sustainable future for Chester County is the theme of this website developed by the Chester Country Commissioners. This site serves the following functions:
- It is an educational tool for learning about sustainability.
- It is a resource for information on what you can do to promote sustainable practices.
- It is a portal to stakeholder websites to provide a wide range of perspectives and technical information.
- It provides tools that promote sustainable practices.
- It is an opportunity to celebrate success stories that occur in our governments, businesses, institutions and homes relative to sustainabilit
The Brandywine Valley Association
- BVA provides Water protection and Environmental Education for the Brandywine Valley BVA is now more than 800 members strong and is still working to protect the picturesque and productive Brandywine Creek.
West Chester Alliance for Global Warming Awareness
Delaware Nature Society
Ashland Nature Center
- Ashland Nature Center offers four self-guiding nature trails traversing 81 acres of rolling terrain through meadows, woodlands and marshes, adult and school programs, seasonal events and much more. Barley Mill and Brackenville Roads Hockessin, DE 19720
Chester County Citizens for Climate Protection
- Chester County Citizens for Climate Protection (4CP) is an organization dedicated to educating the community on the severity and serious consequences of climate change. In addition, the organization will promote actions designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in order to improve our quality of life
Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia
- The Sustainable Business Network of Greater Philadelphia is a business organization that brings together local leaders who share a common passion to grow successful businesses that are socially and environmentally responsible. They work with businesses from startups to older companies who want to create or maintain organizations that respect their employees, value the community and protect the earth.
Pennsylvania's Alternative Energy Investment Fund
- The State of Pennsylvania offers incentives to help households and small businesses take advantage of solar energy technology and make improvements to their homes or buildings that conserve energy.You can find out more about these programs at the state's web site.
- Keystone HELP Residential Energy Efficiency Program - Provides low-interest rate loans and rebates to Pennsylvania residents for energy efficiency improvements to their homes, including the installation of energy-efficient heating and air conditioning systems, geothermal systems, insulation and air sealing, and more. Click here for more information regarding energy efficiency for your home.
- Small Business Energy Efficiency Grant Program - Provides a 25% reimbursement grant, up to a maximum of $25,000, to enable Pennsylvania small businesses to acquire equipment or adopt processes that promote energy efficiency.
- Renewable Energy Program - Geothermal and Wind Projects - Grants and loans for wind energy facilities and geothermal technologies, including opportunities for wind energy and geothermal manufacturers.
Pennsylvania Center for Environmental Education
Pennsylvania Environmental Digest
Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission
- The Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission is dedicated to uniting the region's elected officials, planning professionals and the public with a common vision of making a great region even greater. Shaping the way we live, work and play, DVRPC builds consensus on improving transportation, promoting smart growth, protecting the environment and enhancing the economy. We serve a diverse region of nine counties: Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia in Pennsylvania; and Burlington, Camden, Gloucester and Mercer in New Jersey. DVRPC is the federally designated Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Greater Philadelphia Region - leading the way to a better future.
Robert B. Gordon Natural Area for Environmental Studies
- The Gordon Natural Area is administered by the University. The GNA not only supports a great range of life including plant, fungal, avian and vertebrate, but also serves as a "natural laboratory" for various environmental related courses. The Gordon area is an integral aspect of both the environment and education in Chester County.
10,000 Friends of Pennsylvania
Chester - Ridley - Crum Watersheds Association
The Chester - Ridley - Crum Watersheds Association (CRC) is a nonprofit environmental organization located in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1970, CRC is the only watershed organization devoted to the protection of the water resources of the Chester, Ridley, and Crum Creek Valleys in both Chester and Delaware Counties.
Green Valleys Association
The Green Valleys Association's mission is to protect and preserve the quality and quantity of water resources in northern Chester County through advocacy and education.
Founded in 1964, GVA oversees 155 square miles of all five of Chester County's northern and eastern Schuylkill River watersheds. These five watersheds and their tributaries serve as the drinking water for more than 150,000 residents and run through some of the most important and productive fish, bird, amphibian, and other wildlife habitat in northern Chester County.
Find a volunteer project in your community here at Serve.gov.