Summon - OneSearch at WCU Libraries
Summon – called OneSearch at WCU Libraries - is being updated to Summon 2.0 on July 10, 2014.
So What's New, and What Has Changed in 2.0?
- Responsive Web Design: adapts to the width of your browser window, no matter the size of your device (PC, tablet, phone)
- Right-side column/panel returns results from reference sources to provide an overview of the topic you searched, and also suggestions for related topics and terms. (try it! search for acid rain, Liszt, or Shakespeare)
- This pane will also show the Details when you hover over an item result, along with buttons to Find It, Cite (& then Export, Print, or Email the citation), or Email the single result.
- Saved Items folder is now handy in the top banner, where it remains visible as you scroll down the page and save items.
- Speaking of scrolling: keep going....and going...and going... Yes, it's an infinite scroll, until you run out of results (which is rare in OneSearch!). No more clicking on "Next page, Next page" - or needing to change the number of results displayed.
- Similar types of content such as Images and Newspaper articles are grouped in the results list. (try it! search for ballet, Iraqi art, Civil War)
- Left panel for Refining your Search has a few changes:
- When you make a selection it will change color, so you can quickly review your filters.
- Publication Date is an easy-to-use slider, but you can easily enter or select specific date ranges.
- Filters such as Subject, Discipline, Library Location, and Language will stay hidden until you click on the heading.
- Clicking a Heading to see > More opens a new filters pane, displayed in alphabetical order with # of results for each one.
- Option to Add results beyond your library's collection has moved to the top (formerly on the left)
- Advanced Search screen is accessed by clicking on the drop-down arrow next to the Search button.
- And perhaps the biggest change: your filters STAY ON until you clear them by clicking on "Clear Filters" at the top of the filters pane.
Questions? Comments? Confusions? Please let us know - we're here
for you! Contact a Reference Librarian or just send us your ideas and feedback!
What is included in OneSearch?
- records from the PILOT Library Catalog for print and other resources (NOTE: Records are updated periodically; for new items use PILOT)
- journal, newspaper and magazine articles and citations from the libraries’ database and e-journal collections.
- Entries from online book collections such as Credo and Blackwell Reference Online
- Online music and video from Alexander Street Press, Naxos Music Library and other library databases
- Open access resources in the public domain from the HathiTrust Digital Library.
Frustrated by too many results or not finding what you need?
Many databases have their own specialized searching so it may be more effective to go directly to the subject-specific database. See the Databases tab on the Libraries’ homepage