View Text Only Version

Center for International Programs

Export Controls

Contact Us  

Center for International Programs

Center for International Programs
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
Old Library, Room 101B
775 S. Church Street
West Chester, PA 19383

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm

Open Study Abroad Advising hours:
Make an appointment
Monday 1:30-4:00 | Thursday 9:30-11:30

International Student Advising:
Make an appointment.
Limited availability for walk-ins.

Phone: 610-436-3515
Fax: 610-436-3426

Meet Our Staff

Please note the following procedures that are in place for international travel. Please review carefully, as there have been some changes in process (i.e., new Technology Form) and deadlines. Thank you.

WCU International Travel Form Approvals

All West Chester University personnel travelling internationally (outside of the contiguous United States: this includes Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico) must receive approval prior to travel and in writing by the Center for International Programs and both the Provost and the University President. Both of the following forms must be submitted to the Center for International Programs at least 4-6 weeks prior to travel.

Note: All Faculty or Staff led study abroad programs (credit or non-credit, sports, club, and music performances etc.) that involve students traveling internationally must be in communication 6-8 months prior to departure with Dr. Peter Loedel and/or Jeff Conradi in the Center for International Programs. A program proposal form is required.

  1. International Travel Authorization Form
    • The traveler should prepare the authorization form at least 4-6 weeks before departure, and before any reservations are made (if University funds will be used). The authorization form is required regardless of the source of funds for the trip. If the authorization form is received in the Provost/President Office after the traveler has departed, travel will not be approved and expenses will not be reimbursed.
    • In all instances, the Department Chair or Manager/supervisor must sign and date the Advance Travel Authorization Form, after which the Dean or Director signs and dates.
    • Please include the source of funding for the trip (SAP Cost Center or other). Also include the total dollar amount approved for the trip. If no university funds are being used, please state briefly that “No university funding is being used for this trip.”
    • Additional signatures may be required by the Associate Vice President of Sponsored Research if funding is provided by a Federal granting agency or by the local Faculty Grants Development (FGD) Committee.
    • The signature of the Assistant Vice President for International Programs is required for all international travel.
    • After signatures are obtained from the department, dean, and funding unit(s), the Deans office will forward the forms to the CIP Office for the AVP of International Program’s signature. The CIP office will then forward the form to the Provost/President’s Office. The faculty/staff member will receive an e-mail confirming that the form has been signed and sent to the Provost/President’s Office.
    • Helpful information to include on or with the international travel authorization form:
      • Detailed information on the purpose of the travel, i.e., is this an invited presentation? And what is the topic or format?
      • If the trip is an exploratory visit to develop a new course, or agreement with a foreign institution, please explain in detail, and list the expected outcomes of the visit.
      • A statement of how the travel expenses will be covered (i.e., grant, allotted travel funds from department, support from the dean, etc.)
      • Details of how classes will be covered if you will miss class time.
    • When all approvals have been obtained, the Provost Office will send all original forms to Accounts Payable, via campus mail.
    • A fully signed and completed international travel authorization form will be emailed directly to the faculty or staff member as well as the Dean or Director’s office.
  2. Technology Control Plan Forms (signed only by you and emailed directly to

Process for filing for reimbursement using the travel expense form

  • Please be sure to use the revised Travel Expense Form that includes the signature lines for both the Provost and the President.
  • Upon return, submit the travel expense form to the appropriate offices to obtain all of the required signatures: Department Chair/Manager, Dean/Director, Provost, and President.
  • Additional signatures may be required by the Associate Vice President of Sponsored Research if funding is provided by a Federal granting agency or by the local Faculty Grants Development (FGD) Committee.
  • The AVP for international programs does not need to sign the reimbursement form upon return unless the CIP office is contributing funds to the trip.

Export Controls

PASSHE and WCU Embargo and Export Controls were procedures developed that will ensure that each of the System schools is in compliance with Federal government regulations. The Center for International Programs, WCU's Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and the Division of Information Services (IS) has developed a Technology Control Plan that will ensure your international travel compliance with Export Control Laws. WCU employees traveling overseas are required to review and sign the Technology Control Plan Form(s). The traveler is the only person that signs this form and it is emailed directly to

  • If traveling on university business, AND carrying university technology/equipment, you are required to fill out both the “TMP” and “BAG” Forms
  • If traveling on university business, but carrying personal equipment, you are required to only fill out the one form labeled “BAG”.

The federal rules require all travelers ensure that sensitive digital research data is appropriately protected. If you believe you are traveling with sensitive digital research data or to an embargoed country, the IS Division will need at least a two week notice to review the software and data contained on the laptop (or any other technical device) being taken out of the country. If you have any questions, please contact the University Designated Officer (UDO) for IS - Mr. JT Singh. He may be reached at: E-Mail: or Voice: (610)-436-1045.