Software for Use on Campus
You may request to have the following software installed on your university computer by contacting the IT Help Desk.
- Adobe Creative Cloud
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Sophos Anti-Virus
- Adobe Contribute: Limited Usage
- Minitab: Limited Usage
- SAS: Restrictions Apply
- SPSS/ PASW Statistics: Limited Usage
Software for Home Use
West Chester University offers a variety of software application packages to Faculty and Staff.
- Adobe Creative Cloud* - When prompted login with your WCU network username and password
- Mathematica - See Mathematica tab above
- Microsoft Office 2013* - When prompted login with your WCU network username and password
- Sophos Anti-Virus - See Sophos Anti-Virus tab above
*For Faculty and Staff only
Software and Hardware Discounts
Employees and students may purchase Adobe software licenses at a reduced price level from Journey Education Marketing, Inc. To purchase contact the company directly. You will be asked to show proof of your academic status.
Journey Education Marketing, Inc.
- Contact: Jason Watson
- Phone: 800-876-3507 ext. 7111
- Fax: 972-481-2100
- Cell Phone: 940-597-1466
- E-mail: email@example.com
VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure)
The Division of Information Services is pleased to announce the implementation of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) which allows us to securely deliver applications for faculty and students to learn and work from any location using any device (including mobile devices) whether university owned or personal. As part of the continued transformation of business and IT models in the coming years and to support the undergraduate, graduate, hybrid and distance education programs, this is a major step for us in the adoption of the bring-your-own-device (BYOD) strategy.
What applications are available?
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Visual Basic
- Visual C Sharp
- Visual C++
Who has access to the Virtual Applications?
Current WCU faculty, staff and students have access to the Virtual applications.
User Guides and Resources
Sophos Anti-Virus is licensed for home use for WCU Faculty and Staff. You must have an active PASSHE account in order to download the software, and also to receive updates.
*Recommended browser is Internet Explorer.
For additional information about viruses and WCU Virus Alerts, please visit the WCU Virus Information Center.
What is Mathematica?
Mathematica is the world's most powerful global computing environment. Ideal for use in engineering, mathematics, finance, physics, chemistry, biology, and a wide range of other fields, it makes possible a new level of automation in algorithmic computation, interactive manipulation, and dynamic presentation--as well as a whole new way of interacting with the world of data.
How to obtain Mathematica
Mathematica is currently installed in the following locations:
- Computer labs: Math lab, Physics lab, Anderson Hall labs.
Mathematica can also be installed on:
- Faculty/staff school-owned machines: Installers are available at the IT Help Desk, Anderson Hall Rm. 21.
- Faculty/staff personally-owned machines: Fill out the online form to request a home-use license from Wolfram.
- Students' personally-owned machines: Follow the online instructions to request a home use license from Wolfram.
- Create an account (New users only):
- Go to user.wolfram.com and click "Create Account"
- Fill out form using a @wcupa.edu email, and click "Create Wolfram ID"
- Check your email and click the link to validate your Wolfram ID. NOTE: You may have to log into your WCU spam mailbox at spamcontrol.wcupa.edu, if you don’t see the email in your WCU account.
- Request the download and key:
- Fill out this form to request an Activation Key
- Click the "Product Summary page" link to access your license
- Click "Get Downloads" and select "Download" next to your platform
- Run the installer on your machine, and enter Activation Key at prompt
What are the best steps to start using Mathematica?
If you are brand-new to Mathematica, below are some suggestions on the best ways to get started.
The first two tutorials are excellent for new users, and can be assigned to students as homework to learn Mathematica outside of class time.
- Watch the "Hands-On Start to Mathematica" tutorial.
Follow along in Mathematica as you watch this multi-part screencast that teaches you the basics—how to create your first notebook, calculations, visualizations, interactive examples, and more.
- What's New in Mathematica 9
Provides examples to help you get started with new functionality in Mathematica 9, including the predictive interface.
- How to Topics
Access step-by-step instructions ranging from how to create animations to basic syntax information.
- Learning Center
Search Wolfram's large collection of materials for example calculations or tutorials in your field of interest.
Resources for Faculty
Research with Mathematica
Rather than requiring different toolkits for different jobs, Mathematica integrates the world's largest collection of algorithms, high-performance computing capabilities, and a powerful visualization engine in one coherent system, making it ideal for academic research in just about any discipline.
Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus: Student Use Only
Information Services at West Chester University is announcing the availability of Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus. All WCU enrolled students are eligible to download Microsoft Office at no cost.
What applications come with Office 365 ProPlus?
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, OneNote, Publisher, Outlook, InfoPath
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote
- Windows Phone
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook
How many devices can you download the software on?
Each student can install Office 365 ProPlus on up to five home or personally-owned PCs/Macs and up to five mobile devices.
How do you download the software (PC/MAC)?
- Click the Office 365 link: Office 365
- Type in your WCU username - Click Sign in
- Type in your password and Click Sign in
- Select the appropriate language and review the system requirements
- Click the Install button to begin installation
The site will automatically detect your system (PC or Mac). The default is set to 32-bit as the recommended version. Click the arrow to select 64-bit if preferred.
- Save and Run the installation file and follow the prompts to complete the installation
How do you download the software (Mobile Device)?
- Go to the app store on your mobile device
- Search for Office Mobile for Office 365
- Install and then open the app on your device
- When prompted, enter your WCU username
- Select Organization account and type your WCU password
Who is eligible?
- All WCU enrolled students
- Students will need to connect to the internet once every 30 days to verify they are still eligible.
What happens when I'm no longer a student?
Once you graduate from WCU, you will need to purchase Microsoft Office to continue using the installed programs. The documents you created will be accessible but in a read-only format.
For assistance with this download contact:
Qualtrics Survey Software
Qualtrics is a web-based tool for building and administering surveys and is available to all WCU faculty, staff and students. To access Qualtrics visit wcupa.qualtrics.com and log in with your WCU username and password.
Qualtrics will respond to telephone calls or e-mail contacts based on the order they are received and relative importance as reasonably determined by their team. Phone or e-mail assistance from Qualtrics is available during their normal business hours, 7:00am - 7:00pm Mountain Time on weekdays (Monday - Friday), except holidays. Limited e-mail support is available after hours and weekends.
- Contact Qualtrics by e-mail
- Contact Qualtrics by phone at 1-800-340-9194.
- Qualtrics FAQ
- What if I already have a Qualtrics account?
You will need to log in to wcupa.qualtrics.com with your university username and password. When you attempt to log in the system will ask if you already have an account, click yes and then hit submit. This will then pull in your previously created surveys.
- Can I import my SurveyMonkey surveys into Qualtrics?
No. This is not supported.
Qualtrics offers an extensive collection of online tutorials and documentation.
Taking into strong consideration requirements and feedback expressed by faculty, WCU Information Services selected Dedoose, a mixed methods research tool to meet the needs of faculty requiring qualitative data analysis software. There is an increasing demand for the software by faculty that perform research and that teach qualitative methods. The decision follows a one and a half year pilot of another popular qualitative data analysis product that did not offer a cost effective solution that met key requirements.
Dedoose is a cross platform web based tool accessible from anywhere with a computer connected to the internet. It provides an encrypted, backed up solution with an intuitive interface that supports project teams working simultaneously in real time. These key features match the critical needs of faculty that want to work with the software both on and off campus, collaboratively with other project team members sometimes using different computer platforms.
Learn more about Dedoose and try a one month free trial! Faculty and staff that perform qualitative data analysis or teach qualitative methods are eligible for an account.
Questions? - Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org