Director of Advancement & External Relations (Manager 210)
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania invites applicants for the Director of Advancement and External Relations responsible for the leadership and overall management of advancement operations and related services. The Director drives program integrity through sound financial management and effective donor stewardship policies and practices. Areas of leadership include Fundraising, Strategic Communications, Operations, Foundation and Government Relations; and Sponsored Programs and Grants Management where this incumbent must be consistently messaging on behalf of the President and the institution, with the intent of broadening the University’s funding base. The Director is responsible for the development of policies and the adherence to all applicable regulations and the application of technical solutions to minimize risk and maximize philanthropic support for the University. The employee is charged with advancing and protecting the mission of the University and the interests of institutional constituent support groups.
The Director will facilitate database management and reporting; gift records management; donor recognition and stewardship; prospect research development and management of routine operations.
• Establish an entrepreneurial and creative approach and demonstrated success in obtaining major funding from individuals, corporations, foundations, and/or government entities.
• Fundraises and “friend” raises to meet stated goals to drive scholarship funding for students and university programming.
• Works with established internal and external university partners at all levels to provide the highest established level of service.
• Identifies and leads grant writing initiatives with campus constituents including faculty.
• Ensures events and media relations are effectively positioning the institution to maximize fundraising.
• Coordinates Annual Giving campaigns to routinely connect with new and returning donors.
• Oversees for the development and implementation of all university’s fundraising programs.
• Supervises Alumni Relations, Development, Annual Giving, Media, Communication and Donor Management staff.
• Provides strategic leadership and long-range and short-term planning for the areas of gift processing, database integrity, reporting, data analysis, and system enhancements.
• Develops and executes strategies for continuous quality improvement in services, communications and protocols with internal and external departments and constituencies, in consultation with the Executive Director of Operations and Special Projects.
• Develops business processes for anticipating and meeting customers’ needs.
• Ensures ongoing training for all direct reports to ensure a solid understanding of fundraising programs, strategies and information systems.
• Understands and articulates and applies all regulations, guidelines governing fundraising, gift processing and gift accounting principles (IRS, CASE, FASB/GSAB, etc.).
• Utilizes knowledge of current technology trends in development as applicable to the management of advancement services.
• Handles sensitive issues and information with confidentiality and discretion.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree and post graduate training or certification in philanthropy or fundraising.
• Five years of experience in development with a non-profit institution.
• Demonstrated experience in Strategic Communications, Operations, Foundation and Government Relations.
• Computer fluency in MS Office and donor database software, web applications.
• Knowledge of the role of technology and electronic communication in fundraising.
• Membership in professional associations.
• Significant prior campaign experience is highly desirable.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must complete an online application and upload a resume and cover letter. All applications must be submitted through the online application system. Mailed, emailed or fax application materials will not be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
All offers of employment are subject to and contingent upon satisfactory completion of all pre-employment criminal background checks.