Inspection and Damages
The week you check into your room or apartment/suite, your RA will contact you to complete a Room Inspection and/or Common Area Inspection Form. You
and your RA are to note the condition of ALL items in your room and/or apartment/suite. It is important that all damages are noted on the form(s) to
prove that these damages occurred prior to your occupancy of the room or apartment/suite.
You will be billed for all damages that occur in your room or apartment/suite during your occupancy there. Therefore,
it is extremely important that you and your RA fill out all forms accurately to avoid erroneous billing.
Check Out Procedures
When a student leaves a residence hall room or apartment/suite, either to complete a room change or to leave University housing,
the following procedures must be followed:
- All personal belongings must be removed and the room or apartment/suite must be cleaned before a Resident Assistant can complete
- The room or apartment/suite condition will be assessed to determine if any damage has occurred while you have resided there.
- If there is a discrepancy between the original condition of the room or apartment/suite and the condition at the time of check out, a
Resident Assistant will document this on the inspection form and on a billing form.
- If you agree with the legitimacy of the damages listed on the billing form, the Resident Assistant will ask you to sign the form. If you
have concerns regarding the damages listed, you should see your Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director at that time. Additional damages may be
noted and charges assessed when the Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director does a final inspection of the area.
- It is the responsibility of the Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director and Facilities Department to assign charges for the damages. The
Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director will view all student rooms after the students have vacated. The Resident Director/Graduate Hall Director
has the final authority to assess damages and to bill the appropriate students as necessary.
- Your room and/or apartment/suite key must be turned in to the Resident Assistant at this time. If your key is not returned, you will be billed
for a lock change.
You must adhere to these procedures to correctly check out of your room or apartment/suite. Failure to do so may result in additional charges.
Residents of Allegheny, Brandywine, and University Halls and The Village can expect an inspection with the University Student Housing staff