Federal Work Study Program
The Federal Work Study Program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students and graduate students with
The difference between the cost of attendance (COA) at a school and your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). While COA varies from school to school, your EFC does not change based on the school you attend.
, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work
and work related to the student's course of study. West Chester University's Federal Work Study Student Employment Program is a "Need based"
federally funded program. Funds are limited and students must meet the federal regulations governing
Search Federal Work Study Departmental Job Descriptions.
- Complete the FAFSA - used to determine financial eligibility "Need".
- Complete the West Chester University Federal Work Study Student Employment Application- used to determine job placement.
- Both applications are available January 1st and should be submitted as early as possible.
Federal Work Study Student Employment Forms and Documents
Federal Work Study Student Employment Application
Departments that engage Federal Work Study Students in work that involves confidential and information, documents and materials are required to collect a confidential statement from each of their students. This document should be forwarded to the financial aid office.
- Federal Work Study Department Job Descriptions - Job descriptions are required.
Federal Work Study Student Employment Contracts
Eligible students will receive a contract and should return the contract, to the financial aid office by the stated deadline, to secure the offered position. For additional information please review your department's job description
. Positions that are not secured by the deadline contained in the contract will be return to the pool for reassignment.
Request to Transfer Form
May be initiated by either the student or the supervisor. Must contain both parties' signatures. Transfers are not guaranteed and reassignment is based on the vacancies available at the time of request.
Direct Deposit Form
All students are encouraged to take advantage of this service for the prompt delivery of payment.
- Print form
- Fill out the form completely
- Write "void" on a personal check
- Take the form & your voided check to the Human Resources/Payroll Office.
Payroll Forms - I-9 and W-4 Forms
Completed in person and processed by the Payroll Office
BEFORE the student begins to work. The forms are provided by the Payroll Office. Students are required to present a copy of their social security card to confirm their social security number.
Notification – Award Letters
- You will receive notification from our office regarding your eligibility and placement.
- New students receive notification in early spring, once "packaging" begins.
- Currently enrolled students receive notification, after spring grades are posted, academic progress has been determined and packaging begins.
- You will also have access to your award information online at myWCU.
- Contracts are mailed via traditional mail to eligible students, in early June.
- The contract contains important information regarding the student's assignment, the terms of employment, and paperwork required. For additional information please review your department's job description.
- Contact your supervisor to introduce yourself and familiarize yourself with the department's function.
- Return your contract by the stated deadline to secure the position.
- Complete all payroll documents in person at the Payroll Office as soon as possible.
Types of Jobs
To the maximum extent practicable, a school must provide FWS jobs that compliment and reinforce the recipient's educational program and or career goals.
FWS also encourages employment opportunities that "provide an environment for growth and stimulation".
- Use of computers, software of various types, phone skills, working with others, collecting information, preparing reports, verifying inventories, etc., are all work skills that complement and reinforce almost any educational program and career goals.
- Some FWS students, through a combination of education and familiarity with the work, and in the case of a FWS student who works with the same department for a number of years, may be enabled to increase the complexity of the tasks they can perform.
- Opportunities are available On-Campus as well as Off-Campus in our America Reads Program.
Reporting to Work
- Students who have submitted all required documents are authorized to begin work for their term of employment.
- Report to work the first week of your scheduled assignment. Your supervisor will confirm your status.
- Students that do not report to work will be reported as a NO SHOW and the award will be cancelled.
- Students receive direct compensation, on a biweekly basis, for the hours worked. Students are encouraged to enroll in direct deposit with the payroll office. Funds received are intended for use to meet educational related expenses.
- FWS participants may only hold one job processed by the WCU Payroll Office. Since most additional offers are made through an application/selection process, the student is aware of the potential for this to occur. When this happens, the student will be removed from the Federal Work Study Program. Students are under no obligation to accept the Federal Work Study Student Employment offer.
- SCHEDULE - Pay Days Holidays 2014
Non-Federal Work Study Student Employment Opportunities
In addition to the Federal Work Study Student Employment Program, opportunities for employment are also made possible by various departments and divisions.