Office of the Provost &
Vice President for Academic Affairs

West Chester University

Contact Info
Dr. Linda Lamwers
Philips Memorial Hall
Room 103
700 South High Street
West Chester, PA 19383


Tenure FAQ for Faculty Applying for Tenure

1. If I am applying for tenure and promotion, where do I put the tenure application in the binder?

The tenure application goes in the main binders (A-D) before the promotion application.

2. Where do I put the tenure and/or promotion checklists?

These were created to assist you but are not part of the formal application. We encourage you to include them, however, to assist evaluators in the review process. The checklists for tenure and promotion should be placed immediately after the application(s) for tenure and/or promotion. The checklists for tenure and promotion are currently available at

3. Where do the Department Committee Tenure Recommendation and the Department Chair Tenure Recommendation go in the binder?

They are submitted after your binder is complete so they are not part of the binder. All of the supporting recommendations are submitted independently and they are placed into the front of the binders by the Chair of TeP.

4. I am applying for tenure and promotion. How many sets of student evaluations and peer observations do I need?

You should include all student evaluations (SRIS) reports that are available from all of your probationary annual reviews. You have had annual reviews since your arrival, and the student evaluations and peer observations were originally submitted as part of those reviews. You should submit all of these evaluations and observations as part of your tenure and promotion portfolio.

5. The policy says that "unofficial student rating evaluations of teaching should not be included in the application" (p. 17, item B.7). What exactly is prohibited?

You should not include the goldenrod sheets where students provide qualitative comments about their experience. Letters from students, alumni, peers need to be placed in the supplemental binder. If you have conducted pedagogical research or used an unofficial instrument to assess and improve your teaching, the results of that research may be referenced or explained in the narrative and any report may be included in your supplemental binder, if desired.

6. Does the Department Chair and the Department Evaluation Committee write one or two letters recommending for tenure and for promotion?

The Department Chair should create two documents titled "Department Chair Promotion Recommendation" and "Department Chair Tenure Recommendation" and submit these to TeP. These might be substantially similar, but they are read at different times and by different people. Similarly the department evaluation committee should have two documents titled "Department Committee Promotion Recommendation" and "Department Committee Tenure Recommendation". The separate recommendations should be clearly titled. In some departments, different committees may author these recommendations.

7. For a 2-year application for promotion from a non-probationary faculty member, what should be the content of the "annual review" in year 1?

The materials submitted for the annual review should follow article 12 of the CBA and include student evaluations for fall of year 1, peer observation for fall (and one for spring if feasible by the deadline; for classroom faculty, see note below), chair observation, curriculum vita, and any other materials provided by the faculty member or requested by the committee. This data should be used to make an assessment of the faculty member's current teaching/professional responsibility performance, scholarship to date, and service to date as they stand at the time of the review. It is designed to give the candidate a sense of whether department evaluators and the dean feel they are ready to go for promotion. It should not be limited to achievements during the calendar or academic year.


NOTE: Faculty with administrative responsibilities have a dean/manager assessment of their duties instead of or in addition to classroom assessments; non-classroom faculty should have a similar assessment; faculty who perform work outside of their home department unit should have an assessment performed by that group forwarded to the department committee, chair, and dean.