Dates: Tuesdays, January 27, February 10, 24, March 10, 24, 31, April 14, 28, May 5
Time: 5:00 - 8:45 p.m.
This class also includes the April Saturday Seminar, date TBD
plus 6.25 independent hours
Location: Warwick Elementary School Library, Central Bucks SD
Take a journey alongside your students with your writer’s notebook in hand. This three-credit course will explore how teachers and their students can use their notebooks to live their lives as writers. Teachers will spend time generating ideas, sharing entries, and experiencing the various uses for notebooks. They will also delve into the most difficult part of utilizing a writer’s notebook - revisiting “seed ideas” planted in the notebook and growing them into drafts. This course is being offered throughout the school year so that teachers can take strategies and their own writer's notebooks immediately back to their classrooms for use with their students.
• Discover how the Writer’s Notebook is a way into teaching writing.
• Examine strategies that unlock the writers within the classroom.
• Use children’s literature to spark Writer’s Notebook entries.
• Use the Writer’s Notebook throughout a unit of study.
• Use craft techniques to improve student writing.
• Develop a seed idea from the notebook into a piece of writing.
"This course made me excited about teaching writing. It will fuel your writing for the year and give you strategies to improve in the future. It is a course where you will be inspired as a teacher of writing and fill your toolbelt with all kinds of practical ideas." - course particpant