CAS Student Research Fund
The College of Arts and Sciences has
established an undergraduate student research fund to support
student research or creative projects and travel to professional
meetings. This fund is supported by the Ruth Blanchard endowed
fund, Faculty/Staff Appeal, and Dean’s office funds. The purpose
of the fund is to support and encourage student research,
creative, and professional activity under the guidance of
sponsoring faculty members. Undergraduate majors in the College
of Arts and Sciences are invited to apply to the Associate Dean
for funding for the following purposes:
- to buy books, materials, supplies, or
small equipment for a specific student research or creative
- photocopying necessary for a specific
student research or creative project
- the cost of data collection or data
analysis for a student research or creative project
- publication costs for publication in a
- travel related to a special research or
creative project, such as to a library, archive, or museum,
or to interview/work with a noted scholar, artist, or expert
- travel to present a paper, project, or
artwork at a professional conference
- travel to attend a professional
conference with a faculty member
- travel to a workshop or seminar which
will provide special knowledge or skills for a research or
Amount of Award
The maximum award is $500.00 per request; that is, one
individual may request up to $500, and one group may request up
to $500 for a group project.
Eligibility and Restrictions
All College of Arts and Sciences
undergraduate majors with a minimum GPA of 2.0 may apply. Funding is not available for majors from colleges other than CAS.
Students must be registered for classes when
they apply and not yet graduated when they receive the award.
- Undergraduate students who have graduated may not apply.
- Graduate students may not apply.
- Students may not apply for more than one award per semester.
- The fund supports students working in
individualized, long-term research or creative projects of at
least one semester in duration, under the careful supervision of
a faculty member. Ordinary term paper, laboratory, and studio
assignments or costs associated with required internships are
not eligible for support.
- The fund supports travel to professional
conferences and presentation at professional conferences under
the guidance of a faculty member.
- If more than one student is traveling to the
same conference with the same professor, their travel is
considered to be one group project eligible for one award for
Students whose faculty advisor for a
particular project is currently serving on the awards committee
may not apply.
The application must be approved by both the faculty project advisor and the department chairperson. Department chairs are encouraged to submit the application electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.