Spanish Minor Path

Languages and Cultures

West Chester University

Dr. Israel Sanz-Sanchez
Acting Chair January-June 2016
224 Mitchell Hall
West Chester, PA 19383
Phone: 610-436-2700
Fax: 610-436-3048

Spanish Minor

To declare the Spanish minor, please fill out an official form and request approppriate signatures.

  • The Spanish minor is fulfilled by completing 18 credits of SPA courses.

  • Some of these credits can be obtained through CBE (Credit by Exam) and/or CLEP Exams.

    • For more information on CBE and CLEP see:

      • CLEP:

        • CLEP Exams can be taken for credit for 101-102 or 201-202 at any time.  See the Registrar’s Office or the Department of Languages and Cultures.

      • CBE:

        • Note about CBE: once a student successfully passes a SPA course, the student can’t enrolle as CBE for a lower level course. For instance, if a student is enrolled in SPA 201 and passes the course, (s)he can’t register in SPA 102 as CBE the following semester; the student can, however, register for CBE for SPA 102 in the SAME semester the student is enrolled in SPA 201. The same applies for other courses (i.e. registering in SPA 202 as CBE in the same semester that you are taking SPA 301, etc.). Registration for CBE for any course must be done during add/drop period during the first week of the semester, with the consent of the Department of Languages and Cultures (Mitchell 224).

  • ESP courses (culture clusters taught in English) do not count towards the Spanish minor. Only SPA courses count.

Study Abroad and transferring courses to WCU:

  • Students are encouraged to participate in Study Abroad programs to complete some of their coursework for the minor.


  • Students can transfer up to 9 credits out of the 18 required for the minor (50% of the minor). Transferred courses from another college, from Study Abroad programs and credits received from any CLEP exam as considered as "transferred" for these purposes.

Minimum grades to receive the minor:

  • If starting the minor in the 101/102 sequence, a minimum grade of B is required in those courses.
  • A minimum grade of C is required in courses beyond the 102 level towards the minor.


For questions, and for advising on what courses to take for the minor,

please contact or visit the Spanish minor advisor.