Department of English

West Chester University

Contact Info
Dr. Jen Bacon
532 Main Hall
West Chester, PA 19383

Transfer FAQ

If you are a current WCU student who is either a) seeking specific transfer credit for an English course that you have taken at another institution and that has already been evaluated by the Registrar as a TRN 199 or ENG 199, or b) seeking permission to take future English courses at another institution (e.g., via a study abroad program or your local community college), please consult the following Frequently Asked Questions to understand how the transfer credit petition process works in the English Department. For further information on the transfer credit process more generally, we urge you to explore the WCU Registrar’s Transfer Credit Center.

What’s the difference between a Transfer Credit Appeal form and a Transfer Credit Permission form, and which one should I use?
These two separate forms are used for two different aspects of the transfer petition process:
  • Use the Transfer Credit Appeal form to seek further credit evaluation for English courses that you have already taken at a previous institution and that have been designated by the Registrar as a TRN 199 or ENG 199 on your official transfer credit summary. (For example, if you received a TRN 199 designation for a course that you are convinced should count as WRT 120: Effective Writing I, then you may submit an appeal to the English Department to have this course reevaluated for more specific credit.)
  • Use the Transfer Credit Permission form to seek permission in advance for courses that you will take at another institution in the future (e.g., via a study abroad program or at your local community college).

In order to access the most current versions of both the Transfer Credit Appeal form and Transfer Credit Permission form, please visit the Registrar’s "Forms" webpage. Download and print the documents in PDF and then follow the instructions provided.

Can I submit a transfer credit petition by email?
No. Because of the enormous volume of petitions that we receive each semester, the English Department does not review any electronic submissions of transfer petitions; we require that all petitions be submitted in hard copy. Follow the instructions provided on the Registrar’s petition forms. Plan to drop off your petition (along with all supporting materials) in person at Main Hall 532, the English Department main office.
I've been admitted to WCU but haven't officially matriculated. Before I commit to WCU, can I get the English Department to look at the writing courses that I took at my previous institution and tell me if they'll count as WRT 120 and WRT 200?
The English Department will evaluate your English courses only after those courses have been evaluated by the WCU Registrar. Generally speaking, once you have been accepted to WCU (and prior to your matriculating), the Registrar will complete a transfer credit evaluation of the courses you took at your previous institution; they will process your transcript and generate an official transfer credit summary report. Once these steps have been completed, you may then go ahead and submit a Transfer Credit Appeal to the English Department for any English courses for which you wish to receive more specific credit. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to follow up with the Registrar first in order to monitor the status of your transferred courses.
Should I include a syllabus in my petition packet?
Yes. Although the Registrar’s Transfer Credit Appeal form suggests that a syllabus is an optional part of a transfer petition, the fact is that a thorough, high-quality syllabus will help us better understand the rationale and requirements of the course you took. The more complete your syllabus is, the better off your petition will be; cursory course descriptions or boilerplate sheets of “instructor guidelines” are often not specific enough for us to render a decision. Please also note that the syllabus you provide must be the actual syllabus for the specific course that you took. We cannot accept a syllabus for a course that shares the name of the course you took but was taught by a different instructor or taken by someone else in a different semester. If we suspect that you have provided a “substitute” syllabus that does not match the course that you actually took, we may contact the instructor of record to verify that you were a student in that instructor’s class. Moreover, if we discover that you have submitted a “false” syllabus, we will reject your petition outright, regardless of the merits of the course under review.
I’d really like to discuss my petition in person with a professor in the English Department. How can I do that?
The English Department does not meet individually with petitioning students to discuss the status of their transfer credit petitions. Again, because of the enormous volume of transfer petitions that we review in our department, it is simply not feasible for us to meet with students in person. Our task is to determine whether or not your transferred course is equivalent to a specific course in our English curriculum, and our decision rests solely on the documentation that you provide—not on any in-person explanations. If you would like to speak to a faculty member about your course plan, we strongly urge you to consult with your academic advisor.
How do I find out the outcome of my petition, and where does my petition go once it has been reviewed by the English Department?
Once we have made a determination on your petition, we will notify you by email of our decision and give you further instructions at that time. If you have submitted a Transfer Credit Appeal that has resulted in a change to your record (e.g., an ENG 199 reevaluated as a WRT 120), we will deliver your paperwork to the Registrar’s office for processing; the Registrar will then update your MyWCU account to reflect the change in your record. However, if you have submitted a Transfer Credit Permission Form (e.g., for study abroad) and receive an email notification that your courses have been approved and your form signed by the English Chair, then it is your responsibility to come back to the English Department office to pick up your paperwork and walk it over to the appropriate office—usually the Center for International Programs/Study Abroad office (located in 101B Old Library) but, on occasion, the Registrar's office. (If you take your paperwork to the CIP, they will process it there and then forward it on to the Registrar.)

(Please also note: If we agree with the Registrar’s original evaluation and recommend that your record remain unchanged, we will retain your packet on file for you in the English Department main office, Main Hall 540. Finally, if you wish to retrieve your packet after making a successful petition, please visit the Registrar’s office, which generally keeps scanned copies of all transfer petitions.)

At my previous school, I took classes in History, Sociology, and other subjects in which I wrote at least one research paper and received some writing instruction. Why can’t these classes count as my WRT 200 at WCU?
It is not possible for you to earn transfer credit for a WRT 200 class just by cobbling together written assignments from several courses; instead, you must have taken a single writing class that is primarily a writing/composition course, not simply (for example) a History course with a writing component. Nearly all colleges and universities offer Writing Emphasis courses, and many of them require research papers. But these classes are not primarily composition courses per se, and so they cannot receive WRT 200 credit. Moreover, in order to earn transfer credit for WRT 200, you must have taken a writing course that matches up with WRT 200’s key requirements: i.e., a minimum of three major writing assignments, one of which must be a 10+ page research paper, all totaling 20 pages of finished prose.
Can I get transfer credit toward my General Education Writing Emphasis requirement at WCU if I’ve already taken Writing Emphasis courses at my previous institution?
No. Writing Emphasis courses from other institutions cannot be transferred over to WCU as Writing Emphasis courses per se. Thus even if the English Department reevaluates one of your TRN 199 courses as, say, a CLS 165 (which is a Writing Emphasis course), the newly designated CLS 165 will count only towards your General Education humanities requirement but not as one of your three required Writing Emphasis courses. (Please also note that Writing Emphasis courses are different from WRT courses.) However, as a transfer student, you may have the opportunity—depending on the number of credits that transfer in from your previous institution—to reduce the number of Writing Emphasis courses that you are required to take as part of WCU’s General Education curriculum. Please direct any questions about Writing Emphasis courses to the Registrar’s office, to your academic advisor, or to Andrea Grinwis ( in Academic Affairs.
I completed two Mosiac seminars at Temple University. Why can’t those courses transfer in as WRT 120 and WRT 200 at WCU?
Temple’s Mosaic seminars are interdisciplinary humanities courses with writing components, but their primary focus is not on writing, rhetoric, and composition per se; thus they cannot count as full-fledged WRT courses. A Mosaic seminar might potentially transfer in as an ENG 199, LIT 199, or even LIT 165, but not as WRT 120 or WRT 200.