Department of Communication
Sciences and Disorders

West Chester University

Dr. Cheryl D. Gunter, Chair
201 Carter Drive, Suite 400
West Chester, PA  19383
Phone:  610.436.2115
Fax:  610.436.3388

Undergraduate in Communication Sciences and Disorders FAQs


Some FAQs about Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders.

In addition to meeting the general requirements for admission to the university, applicants should have:

  • Standing in the upper third of their high school class
  • A grade point average of approximately 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
  • Evidence of a strong background in science and mathematics
  • A combined SAT score of approximately 1100 or higher

Undergraduate Students


What are the academic requirements for the BA degree?

The academic requirements for the Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders include the following:

1) Restrictive Major Requirement.

To remain in the major or to transfer into the major, students must complete the following prerequisite courses with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least a 3.0 across the eight courses and a minimum grade of "C" or better in each course; SPP 101, SPP 106, WRT 1XX, MAT 1XX, SPP 203, SPP 207, ENG230/LIN320, and WRT 2XX.


2) Letter Grade Requirement.

Grades of "C-", "D", or "F" earned in major SPP courses must be raised to a "C" or better. A major course in which a student earns a grade of "C-", "D", or "F" must be repeated the next time the course is offered.

3) GPA Requirement.

A minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA and a 2.5 GPA in the major courses are required for all communication sciences and disorders majors to complete the degree program.

The course requirements for the BA are divided into five areas as follows:
A total of 120 semester hours of coursework is needed for graduation.


48 semester hours
12-15 semester hours
1. Research Skills
2. Human Communication
3. Linguistics
4. Human Development
5. Human Behavior and Services
6. Human Abnormalities
18 semester hours
SPP 101-Introduction to Communicative Disorders
SPP 106-Anatomy of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism
SPP 203-Speech and Hearing Science
SPP 204-Speech and Language Development
SPP 207-Introduction to Phonetics
SPP 208-Neurology of Speech and Hearing
SPP 329-Speech and Voice Disorders
SPP 333-Language Disorders
SPP 346-Hearing Disorders
SPP 348-Hearing Disorders Lab
SPP 350-Clinical Principles
SPP 410-Independent Study
SPP 469-Clinical Instrumentation
SPP 498-Workshop in Communicative Disorders
SPP 451-Clinical Practicum
SPP 163-Seminar I in Communicative Disorders
SPP 166-Seminar II in Communicative Disorders
SPP 263-Seminar III in Communicative Disorders
SPP 363-Seminar IV in Communicative Disorders
SPP 366-Seminar V in Communicative Disorders
SPP 463-Seminar VI in Communicative Disorders
34 semester hours
9-15 semester hours


Can I enter the program if I don't meet admission requirements as an incoming freshman?

Yes. The department accepts WCU students who wish to transfer into the major from another major or students who have not yet declared a major. To transfer into the major, internal transfer students are required to meet the Restrictive Major Requirement (see description above) before being accepted into the department as a major.

In addition to internal transfer students, the department also accepts students who wish to transfer into the major from another college or university. External transfer students must apply for admission to the major through the university admissions office. The Restrictive Major Requirement that applies to internal transfer students also applies to external transfer students.

Can I work as a speech-language pathologist once I get my B.A. degree?

No. The bachelor's degree is a pre-professional degree and will not qualify you for a position as a speech-language pathologist (SLP). You will need to complete a master's degree program to work in the profession.

Are there minimum grade restrictions that I must meet?

Yes. To remain in or to transfer into the major, you must meet the Restrictive Major Requirement (see description above). As you continue through the program, you must also meet the Letter Grade Requirement (see description above). To graduate, you must maintain a grade point average (GPA) of at least a 2.5 overall and in your major courses to qualify for the degree. In reality, you will need a much higher GPA since admission to graduate programs is very competitive.

What are the average GPA scores of students who graduate and complete the degree requirements for the B.A. in Communication Sciences and Disorders?

Below are the statistics for students who graduated in the spring and summer of 2015:

Average Undergraduate Cumulative GPA


Range of GPA scores
2.97 - 3.99
Standard deviation 
Number of students who graduated with a 3.0 or better
67/68= 98%


Who advises me once I am accepted to the program?

You will be assigned one of the following faculty members as an advisor once you are accepted as a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders:


Student's Last Name Begins With:
A - Ch

Dr. Patricia Swasey Washington

(610) 436-3404

e-mail address:

Ci - E Dr. Sojung Kim (610) 436-2367 e-mail address:
F - Hi Dr. Elizabeth Grillo (610) 436-2132 e-mail address:
Hj - L

Dr. Supraja Anand

(610) 436-3436


M - Pe

Dr. Mareile Koenig

(610) 436-3218

e-mail address:

Pf - Sm

Dr. Jeanette Benigas

(610) 436-3403


Sn - Z

Dr. Jennifer Means

(610) 436-3447

e-mail address:


Who should I call if I have questions about admission to the program?

Please call the University Admissions Office at: (610) 436-3411. You can also contact the department directly at: (610) 436-3401.