LGBTQA Services

West Chester University

Aneesah Smith
Assistant to the Vice President for Student Affairs
for LGBTQA Services and Special Projects
233 Sykes Student Union
Fax 610-436-2480


Name Change

Changing your name is a legal process that is determined by the state in which you live (where you have residency). Most often you can find this information on the internet by searching for "name change" and your home state. You can also contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in your home state.

In order to formally change your name and gender marker at West Chester University, you must present a new driver's license to the Office of the Registrar (25 University Avenue).

The WCU LGBTQA Advocacy Committee has helped to create some ways to informally change your name to help facilitate a safer, more congruent process of transition.

1.  There are no gender indicators on class lists.

2.  To change your picture and name on your student identification card, contact Ms. Donna Synder

    Executive Director of Student Services Incorporated. You will have to pay for a replacement ID.

3.  To change the way your email address is presented, contact Mr. Frank Piscitello Information Security.

If you would like an advocate to help you make these requests, please contact, Aneesah Smith, Assistant to the Vice-President for Student Affairs for LGBTQA Services & Special Projects, or by phone at 610-436-3147 or the LGBTQA at 610-436-3351.