JUDICIAL BOARD - FAQ
JUDICIAL BOARD APPLICATION
JUDICIAL BOARD REFERENCE DOCUMENT
WHY WOULD I WANT TO BE ON THE JUDICIAL BOARD?
- To have an opportunity to make an impact on students by assisting them in their growth and development.
- To gain experience in analytical and critical thinking, decision making, and understanding the principles of due process.
- To become more familiar with University policies and procedures.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE?
- Each member is contacted via e-mail as to his/her availability to participate in a Judicial Hearing. Your participation will vary depending upon your academic, work and extracurricular schedule. The time for each case will vary depending upon the number of witnesses and the complexity of the case.
WHAT EXACTLY WILL I DO AS A STUDENT MEMBER?
- Boards are composed of two students and one Hearing Officer. The Hearing Officer serves as the Chairperson. The Board will be provided with a “script” which is the procedural guidelines for the Hearing. Each case will involve reviewing the materials prior to the Hearing, listening to “testimony” from the complainant, referred student and any witnesses, determining whether the referred student is responsible/non-responsible for the alleged violation, and finally, determining an appropriate sanction if necessary.
WILL I BE TRAINED?
- Training will consist of a two to three hour initial training provided by the Office of Judicial Affairs. Additionally, the Director will provide supplemental training and case reviews if warranted.
WHAT IF I KNOW ABOUT THE CASE OR THE PEOPLE INVOLVED?
- Student members may remove themselves from a case if knowledge of an event or of the individual(s) involved would affect their objectivity.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO BE ON THE JUDICIAL BOARD?
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
- Must complete an application and submit recommendations.
- Will be interviewed by the Director of Judicial Affairs.
Additional questions or concerns? Contact Lynn M. Klingensmith, Director of Judicial Affairs at (610)436-3511, 238 Sykes Union