|Assistant Professor of TESOL
Ph.D., The University of Utahm, Salt Lake City
M.A., Brigham Young University
B.A., The University of Belgrade
Second language (English) vocabulary acquisition, second language reading and writing, applied corpus linguistics, content-based instruction
- “The Explicit Teaching of Formulaic Sequences in ESL writing: Does it benefit the writers?” presentation at SLRF, October 2013(Salt Lake City, UT) (accepted)
- “Explicit Instruction of Formulaic Sequences in ESL writing: How does it benefit the writers?” presentation at LASSO 2013 (New Brunswick, NJ) (accepted)
- “Responding to L2 Writing” presentation at the University of Utah Summer Institute on Teaching Culturally Diverse Students , May 2013 (Salt Lake City, UT)
- “The effects of the explicit instruction of the academic formulaic sequences on ESL writers” presentation at AAAL, March 2012 (Boston, MA)
- “Usefulness of vocabulary instruction in ESL writing: Student perspective“ presentation at TESOL Convention, March 2012 (Philadelphia, PA).
- “How Academic are the formulae in They say/I say: The moves that matter in academic writing” presentation at CCCC, April 2011 (Atlanta, GA).
- "A closer look at the formulas in They say/I say” presentation at TESOL Convention, March 2011 (New Orleans, LA).
- “Re-imagining writing instruction through integration of vocabulary teaching” presentation at TESOL Convention, March 2010 (Boston, MA).
- “Shoshoni Language Revitalization Project: Design of High-School Curriculum and Lesson Plans.” Panel at CELCNA, March 2010 (Salt Lake City, UT).
- “2009 Update on the Wick R. Miller Collection Shoshoni Project.” CELCNA March 2009. (Salt Lake City, UT ) with M. Di Paolo, R. Sykes, J.Mitchell, K.Matsumoto-Gray, K.Marsh, T. Khvtisiashvili, B.Hudson, N. Fox, and X. Chen
- “A Collaborative Approach to Material Design.” Linguistics Department Colloquium, with N. Fox. K. Lindahl, Z. Tomas, and R. Farrely
- January. 2009, Linguistics Department, The University of Utah, (Salt Lake City, UT)
- March 2009, ICLDC (Honolulu, Hawaii)
- March 2009, CELCNA (Salt Lake City, UT)
- "Reading Portfolios: A Way to Asses Extensive Reading." Academic Session Panel at TESOL Convention, March, 2005. (San Antonio, TX).
- "The 'Why' and 'How' of Using Expository Texts in an Intensive English Program" presentation by invitation at The Higher Education Interest Section of Intermountain-TESOL, March, 2005. (English Language Center, Provo, UT).
- “Save your students a trip to a dictionary -- Teach morphology" presentation at Intermountain-TESOL Conference, October, 2003. (Horizonte Instruction and Training Center, Salt Lake City, UT).
- “The influence of Greek and Latin on the lexicon of narrative and expository text collections in upper-elementary education: Implications for extensive reading” presentation at Intermountain-TESOL Fall Conference, October, 2002. (College of Southern Idaho, Twin Falls, UT).
AWARDS AND HONORS RECEIVED
- 2012 Ramona W. Cannon Award for Graduate Student Teaching, University of Utah College of Humanities, Linguistics Department Nomination.
- Lois Darlene Simmerman Clayton Professional Development Grant Recipient 2011/2012. Linguistics Department, The University of Utah.
- Graduate Research Fellowship recipient for academic 2011/2012, Graduate School, The University of Utah.
- Steffensen Cannon Scholarship recipient for academic 2010/2011, Graduate School, The University of Utah.
- TESOL Professional Development Scholarship recipient 2011, TESOL Association.
- Linguistics Department Alumni Endowed Scholarship recipient for academic 2010/2011, Linguistics Department, The University of Utah.
- Outstanding TESOL Thesis Award recipient, BYU, Linguistics and English Language Department, May 2003.
Classes regularly taught:
Teaching English Language Learners PK-12 (LAN 382/569)
Second Language Methodology
Introduction to English Grammar