Labor Relations
201 Carter Drive, Suite 100
West Chester, PA 19383
Phone: 610.436.2800
Fax: 610.436.3464




Labor Relations Links

Labor Relations Contacts

Labor Relations Frequently Asked Questions

Why do we conduct performance appraisals?

Performance appraisals are a tool to facilitate communication between the supervisor and the employee.  Although employees should be receiving feedback on their performance throughout the year, this document is the formal assessment of performance.

What should we include in a job description?

The job description or job profile should include the general duties and responsibilities related to the position.  This document is the foundation for the classification process.

Can I extend a probationary period?

Yes. During the probationary period, supervisors are expected to work closely with new employees; conduct frequent discussions on employee progress; and document the employee's performance and conduct. Supervisors should identify improvement needs as early as possible. The probationary period is intended to be used to determine whether the right employee has been hired for the job.

AFSCME, Police/Security, Nurses, Managers – 180 days from date of hire/promotion
SCUPA - One year from date of hire, with regular assessments at three, six and nine month periods

Under special circumstances a probationary period may be extended if the supervisor needs more time to appraise the employee. An extension must be requested at least three weeks in advance of the end of the probationary period, and must be supported by documentation to justify the additional assessment period.  All extensions must be requested through the Office of Labor Relations.

Is my disability covered under the American with Disabilities Act? If so, how can I be accommodated?

Since each disability and accommodation is unique, contact Trish Seningen or Lauren Krautheim, Department of Labor Relations, to discuss non-workers comp related disabilities. The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) website provides an A to Z list of Disabilities and Accommodations.

What issues should I contact Labor Relations for?

You can contact the Labor Relations office with any concerns ranging from enforcing and understanding a bargaining unit contract, employee concerns and issues, responding to a grievance or creating a new departmental policy. The main point is to contact Labor Relations for advice and assistance as soon as possible instead of waiting until an topic is out of control. If you are unsure, it never hurts to ask.

Back to top ^